Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss summer house supply thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. WELLSIANA

WELLSIANA EF Member

been asked to price a socket to a Summer house , throwing it out their for any views which may help me decide my course of action , Ideally i would like to get back to the Consumer unit , but its virtually impossible without major structural upset , and can not go external from it either due to the nature of the property . So , what i do have is a Garage Socket , which i am assuming is from the current ring main , on a spur . I thought maybe fitting a fused spur into the line and going off the socket down to the Summer House which is approx 25-30 meters away and feed a socket for a reading light and small heater , problem is the distance and what amps i would have at the Summer house already from a spur , plus the size of SWA i would need , seems a mighty job for a Summer house which could not get further away from a source which is so hard to get to . Any Views ?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. KevinH

KevinH Active EF Member

Business Name:
    K H Electrical
    Bit worried someone asking these sort of questions are willing to carry out a job that requires notification. A registered sparky would carry out simple cable calcs to work out cable size AND identify where garage socket is fed from.
    If you suspect the garage socket is fed by a spur off the ring main, why would you need another spur in line?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

I'm with @KevinH@KevinH post above.
    You want to spur off a spur and run it 30 meters from a circuit that that you are not sure about.????
    Please clarify you post mate.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Ditto on the agreement front.

Lets take a big step backwards...what would you want to power in this hut?

(PS, I hate the word assume.)

5. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    I'm with Kevin and Spoon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WELLSIANA

WELLSIANA EF Member

already i laugh , it was just thoughts , just asking views , and sorry no i do not crawl about in lofts to determine where a cable goes , but my assumption is the garage socket is spurred off the ring main like most extra sockets get done , of course i would check if i went any further , it is not already on a spur as in 13amp fused spur . I know full well i can ring up technical if needed but was merely asking views , as for certification hahaha , not many carry that out around here only the big boys , everyone misses that part of the job and saves a fortune ha ha wink

• Dumb Dumb x 12
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

I'm with Kevin, Spoon, Pete AND Taylor :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Taylortwocities

OK. Lets try again

9. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    With what TTC?

10. Taylortwocities

I asked what the estimated load might be. You may recall that we start cable calculations with the answer to trivial issues like that!

11. KevinH

KevinH Active EF Member

Business Name:
    K H Electrical
    OP laughs about not certifying work in his area to "save a fortune"......no laughing matter I'm afraid....that's how buildings burn and people get killed!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Not a lot we can say mate.
    From your general outlook on things it looks like you will do whatever you want to do.
    Crack on.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

I think the OP is on a wind up. Either that or the electrical installations in Downham Market are decidedly down market.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Grezza

Grezza Active EF Member

Wowzer. Where do I begin??!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

This is one of the best lines I have read for a while:

...problem is the distance and what amps i would have at the Summer house already from a spur...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1