Search the forum,

Discuss Supplier's Main Fuse ID in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

no reason to cut the seals apart from the possibility of prosecution as tampering with supplier equipment is an offence and the seals are there to stop pilfering sods so when mr meter reader comes along and sees a cut seal he assumes you have tampered with the meter and hence prosecution may follow

no reason to cut the seals apart from the possibility of prosecution as tampering with supplier equipment is an offence and the seals are there to stop pilfering sods so when mr meter reader comes along and sees a cut seal he assumes you have tampered with the meter and hence prosecution may follow

No offence but what a load of rubbish, I've always cut seals with no problems, I've even been around when the supplier has come to connect my new tails, all they do is reseal the fuse when they come. There isn't a problem doing it, if you're a competent electrician and you're regestered with a scheme they don't have a problem in you doing it. (well at least in my area!)

I've recently read the ESC Switched On magazine which has a piece on this subject. Basically the ESC have been trying to get the electrical supply industry to change it's policy which currently forbids competent persons other than those employed by the suppliers to cut seals and remove fuses. This request has just recently been denied by the electrical supply industry.
Because of this myself and the other electricians in the company I work for always mark the characteristics of primary supply overcurrent protective devices as LIM on PIRs and EIC's. On the EIC we mention that we were unable to gain access to the overcurrent device in the "comments on existing installation" box on the first page. The NICEIC area engineer has no problem with us doing this and says it's best way in an awkward situation.
When it comes to isolating the supply, we order a double pole isolator from the suppliers before the work commences.
Hope this answers a few questions.

Had a bloke from EDF out on a job this week checking on a dodgy earth termination in the cutout. First thing I mentioned was that the missing seal on the main fuse wasn't me - was like that when I got there (which was actually quite true). He said don't worry, they aren't concerned at all about the seal on the fuse. Just the seals on the meter. In fact he didn't even bother to put a new seal on the fuse before he left.

Reply to Supplier's Main Fuse ID in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back