Discuss Surge protection for solar in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, We're looking at installing solar at a remote property which is on a TT system with out buildings supplied with underground cables (Stables, tractor sheds...) The array will be installed on one of these out buildings and I am trying to navigate 443.4.1 to assess if it requires an SPD on the DC cables. Quick side note, for the cost, we would have probably installed it either way, but I have an inquisitive mind that needs to understand rules and regs. Anyway, in my opinion, neither the stables nor tractor shed fall under any of the 3 idents of 443.4.1.

I would like to see others opinions on whether an SPD is 'technically' required please.

It would be useful if there were refresher courses as and when the regs change for different electrical services (PV, EV, EESS....). It feels a bit steep to charge for the full course again and get the same certification twice in an attempt to try and gain an understanding of these changes, I did my PV course a few years ago and looking at the code of practice, a lot has changed since then.

Those 3 indents are where SPDs shall be provided no matter what.

However the regulation goes on to say that SPDs shall be provided for all other cases, unless the owner says they don't want them and they accept the risks involved.

In my view, this refusal should be accompanied by a signed statement to that effect.

The only question would be whether the proposed new work would warrant adding SPDs, if for example, the new work was just adding an extra socket to an existing circuit. There doesn't appear to be any clear guidance regarding this aspect.

Reply to Surge protection for solar in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net