Discuss Swa Banjo? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It has the banjo fitted so it must be fine!!!
What on earth did they manage to do to that gland to rip off the end of the clamp nut?

I finally started the remedial work on these glands (4 in total), the original installer had bought size 20 glands when the cable needed size 25. The badly damaged one, it looks like they'd had a go at trying to get the armour inside but given up after damaging the gland. The other three, they'd just snipped it all off.

Without having my books to hand, having not (yet) been taught this and calling on the years of valuable experience available here, how does one select the CSA of the fly-lead?
Should it follow the usual rules for sizing CPCs - either be the same CSA as the live conductors or be selected by calculation using the adiabatic equation?
Surely unless it is correctly sized it may also prove unreliable under fault conditions?

Without having my books to hand, having not (yet) been taught this and calling on the years of valuable experience available here, how does one select the CSA of the fly-lead?
Should it follow the usual rules for sizing CPCs - either be the same CSA as the live conductors or be selected by calculation using the adiabatic equation?
Surely unless it is correctly sized it may also prove unreliable under fault conditions?
If you are utilising the armour as the circuit cpc then yes I would use the Adiabatic or the tables and size the fly lead accordingly.
If I am just earthing it and using a core within the cable as my cpc then I will use a minimum of 2.5mm for the fly lead , if mechanical protection is not necessary.
Depending if we are dealing with larger swa cables where the fault current is likely to be higher and more severe then I would install a larger fly lead put probably nothing larger than 10mm

Last edited:

Generally you don't somebody on more money than you does who drives a nicer car than you. :hand:

On a glaxco chemical plant I was on recently all the earthing flies were 6mm.

There was a big debate going on because EX SWA glands the sheath were left off because not required. They liked it in the end as no armour showing anyway.

Lots of earthing going on if the pipes resistance was greater than 10 ohms across the flange then flies were put between the flanges on pipes.

The Electrical engineer in the office had the final say on what went down with his brand new Audi in the car park to prove it.

Generally you don't somebody on more money than you does who drives a nicer car than you. :hand:

On a glaxco chemical plant I was on recently all the earthing flies were 6mm.

There was a big debate going on because EX SWA glands the sheath were left off because not required. They liked it in the end as no armour showing anyway.

Lots of earthing going on if the pipes resistance was greater than 10 ohms across the flange then flies were put between the flanges on pipes.

The Electrical engineer in the office had the final say on what went down with his brand new Audi in the car park to prove it.

6mm is the norm for all Petro-chemical sites, hope they used copper tube lugs rather than the crappy yellow lugs the fail in no time!

6mm is the norm for all Petro-chemical sites, hope they used copper tube lugs rather than the crappy yellow lugs the fail in no time!

There was some really nice Pyro work on that job and the new EX rated emergency stop buttons were a fraction of the size of the original equipment ex emergency buttons. And I bet they last a fraction as long as well.

All the old gear had "Made In Great Britain" on it :)

i've got made in britain stamped across my navel. ain't done me any favours.

Reply to Swa Banjo? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net