Discuss SWA buried in wall to CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
Client doesn’t want external cable . Shop with a three way mains incomer 9 m away . 2 flats fed on other feeds .So was going to run the 16mm SWA from the incomer in a low wall chase internally and run up the wall into a flush CU . So no RCD protection but earthed sheath . Do I have to sink it more than 50mm or is it mech protected anyway ?

thanks in advance !

No it will be fine. There is no specific depth to sink a cable except that if it is less than 50mm it may need additional rcd protection which in your case doesn't apply due to the construction of the cable.

There are 'safe ones' though. As long as the chase for the SWA is directly below the CU, and stays within the vertical boundaries of the CU, then it will be compliant

Try to fit a solid steel plate over the chase if you can that way some numpty will hopefully stop drilling with an SDS by the time they've hit the plate.

Try to fit a solid steel plate over the chase if you can that way some numpty will hopefully stop drilling with an SDS by the time they've hit the plate.
unless he's a kitchen fitter/plumber/builder/handyman.

Thanks for the replys . It has to run low level above the drainage pipework so cant get it into a safe zone until it gets to the vertical , so probably 2 m not in a prescribed safe zone . The worry is as pointed out some one spend 5 minutes with an SDS looking for a fixing and hits the mains . Not sure if steel plate that length would be cost effective . Think I will try and get the chase at 80mm and bury it below the 50mm min . Within the regs and would hope someone would notice if they hit it !

Thanks for the replys . It has to run low level above the drainage pipework so cant get it into a safe zone until it gets to the vertical , so probably 2 m not in a prescribed safe zone . The worry is as pointed out some one spend 5 minutes with an SDS looking for a fixing and hits the mains . Not sure if steel plate that length would be cost effective . Think I will try and get the chase at 80mm and bury it below the 50mm min . Within the regs and would hope someone would notice if they hit it !

Is the wall substantial enough to dig 80mm out of it?

is the drainage in the wall or surface? if surface you could box it in and the SWA inside the box as well.

Reply to SWA buried in wall to CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net