Discuss SWA feed to garage for brewing equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Suppliers fuse is 100A
Main isolation switch is 100A
There is a space for an extra breaker
Very easy to feed from either the consumer unit or to split the tails after the meter.
I would prefer from the consumer unit so all circuits can be shut off from one place but I know that's only personal preferance.
I don't know the earthing type, how would that affect the size of cable or termination points?

No desire to get an electric car in the foreseeable future.

I already have an ethernet cable to the garage but I wouldn't put that in the same ducting as power even if it is allowed.

I would prefer from the consumer unit so all circuits can be shut off from one place but I know that's only personal preferance.

If you are tapping off the tails you might as well get the electrician to fit an isolator before the split, then you get your one pint of isolation.

I don't know the earthing type, how would that affect the size of cable or termination points?

Take a pic of the incomming supply to the house and meter area. post it up here.

I already have an ethernet cable to the garage but I wouldn't put that in the same ducting as power even if it is allowed.

If you are fitting one ducting then you could always fit another small one for the ethernet & alarm cable (If needed).

There is a space for an extra breaker
Very easy to feed from either the consumer unit or to split the tails after the meter.
A new circuit is notifiable work under Part P of the building regulations in England and Wales, so your best plan is to find a local sparky who is registered on one of the "competent person" schemes such as NICEIC to do the work as they can self-certify and submit the paper work that way.

Someone on here might be local to you.
That is a sensible choice. However, you won't get good selectivity by that means though, as a significant fault in the garage (i.e. above the "instant trip" current of the upstream MCB) on any circuit will also trip the MCB in the CU.

That might not matter to you, but if a concern then you might want to consider emergency lights to avoid sudden darkness (for any reason, even power cut), or having a fused-switch fitted on split tails so you get reasonable selectivity levels.

No worries.

However, it is fine to put Ethernet alongside SWA (or cables like Flexishield) as the earthed armour serves both for safety and to screen the majority of noise.

If you do put Ethernet cable in duct it might get wet so you might want to consider the outdoor style of cable such as this:

There's already an isolation switch by the meter ?
I had assumed you'd also need something else or the only protection the 12m length of SWA has is the 100A supplier fuse?

Pic of incoming supply attached.
The tap off the joint to the existing SWA was like that when I moved in, shocking isn't it (boom, boom)

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_085230.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Reply to SWA feed to garage for brewing equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net