Discuss Swap a 2 gang dimmer switch for a standard 2 switch arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.
In the images. One is a 2 gang dimmer switch and the other a normal 2 gang switch arrangement.

Dimmer 1 controls the main ceiling rose and the second dimmer controls some wall lights.

I'd like to swap out the dimmer entirely for the standard switch only am not 100% sure on the wiring config for the switch. Here's my thoughts:-

2 hot (red) wires incoming. Fit these into com1 & com2 resp.

1 black wire. Fit this into com2 L2 terminal.

1 brown wire. Share terminal com1 and fit to com2 L1 resp.

Does this sound logical enough? Thanks in advance.
PXL_20230114_100128235.jpg
PXL_20230114_103017704~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the brown and red from L1 into one of the COM, doesn't matter which one and the other end of the brown into the other COM. Your red and black go into the L1 terminals separately.

Brill. Works a charm. Thankyou
Put the brown and red from L1 into one of the COM, doesn't matter which one and the other end of the brown into the other COM. Your red and black go into the L1 terminals separately.

Put the brown and red from L1 into one of the COM, doesn't

I've just noticed that switch needs an earth and there doesn't appear to be one unless it is poked in through the back. If no earth you need a plastic switch.

I wonder if theres a 16mm back box behind that and a pattress was put infront to save chiselling out a deeper box for the dimmers @1cookie Do take a look as that switch needs a cpc and there may well be one back there, you could potentially remove the pattress too which would look better.... defo investigate

I wonder if theres a 16mm back box behind that and a pattress was put infront to save chiselling out a deeper box for the dimmers @1cookie Do take a look as that switch needs a cpc and there may well be one back there, you could potentially remove the pattress too which would look better.... defo investigate

Hard to tell from the image, but it looks as though the pattress is screwed to some sort of wooden panelling.

Reply to Swap a 2 gang dimmer switch for a standard 2 switch arrangement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net