Discuss switches in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shocked

Hi all
just a quickie
can we fit a wall light switch in a bathroom ?
the switch will be outside of the zones and as i see it does not have to be IP rated or SELV
it will have a 30ma RCD on the circuit
thanks for any advice
john

Hi John

It depends where inside the bathroom but outside or a pull cord are preferred . There are zones inside a bathroom where it would be allowed but special considerations need to be considered.

I would not use regular switches or dimmers in bathrooms. The reason being that if you had a nice long soak in the bath, condensation could run down the walls into the switch, or you climb out of the bath or shower and operate the switch with wet hands etc.

Regards
Mark

:D

Last edited:
I may of mis-understood the regs, but I thought that the switch would have to be 3m away fron the edge of zone 2, making it quite a large bathroom!

Hi Doomed

I haven't seen that one in the regs, could you point me in the right direction?:confused:

Cheers
Mark

on site guide 8.1

ii) socket-outlets are not allowed within 3m of zone 1

I'm assuming a wall switch would be classed the same as a socket outlet, and I was in error about which zone!

Reg 701.512.3 states :
In Zone 0 : Switchgear or accessories shall not be installed
In Zone 1 : Only switches of SELV circuits supplied at a nominal voltage not exceeding 12V a.c rms or 30V ripple-free d.c shall be installed, the safety source being installed outside zones 0, 1 or 2
In Zone 2 : Switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket outlets shall not be installed with the exception of
(i) switches and socket-outlets of SELV circuits, the safety source being installed outside zones 0, 1 or 2 and
(ii) shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5
Except for SELV socket-outlets complying with Section 414 and shaver supply units complying with
BS EN 61558-2-5, socket outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1

They clearly state socket-outlets, I think if they were referring to socket-outlets, switches etc. in general, they would have stated swich gear, control gear or accessories.

I might be wrong, but that is how I interperet the Regs.

Regards
Mark:D

So we put the lighting on a plug top.

I must admit I initially thought the same, but after wondering what the differance is between a switched socket outlet, a switched spur or a lighting circuit switch and not been able to get a clear answer.

Also by following the logic of this regulation it only says about socket outlets must be 3m away from zone 1, but does not place any limitations on switch gear etc outside zone 2 (probably as the other regs will ensure that all circuits are RCD protected)

IMHO this is one of those grey areas where we need to use our own common sense. I would only ever fit a pull cord in a bathroom area, but I was looking at the origional question.

As per definitions in the BRB:

Socket-outlet. A device, provided with female contacts, which is intended to be installed with the fixed wiring, and intended to receive a plug. A luminaire track system is not regarded as a socket-outlet system.

I say no more.....:D

Regards
Mark

I have looked at this many times and come to this conclusion...anything apart from socket outlets can be installed outside zone 2. This area is no holds barred. There is nothing to state you cannot install a standard light switch outside zone 2. Although common practise implies you would fit a pull switch in a bathroom. Could it be proven that you have done wrong by fitting a normal switch in a bathroom beyond zone 2?? I think not.

Reply to switches in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net