Discuss t & e in 20mm conduit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ive been pulling 6 x 4mm's through 20mm conduit all week. Work that one out eh? The job we are on are soooo tight they wont let us use 25mm. So we have been ramming the yellow 77 on it

So your learning all the wrong ways of doing things then, with this company!!!

Im just a small cog in a big wheel fella. I dont say what goes, i just have to follow orders. When the big gaffa is telling me to get 6 x 4mm cables down a piece of 20mm conduit I just do it. We've pointed out a million times that 25mm would be better but do you think these companys listen to mates? :p

Im just a small cog in a big wheel fella. I dont say what goes, i just have to follow orders. When the big gaffa is telling me to get 6 x 4mm cables down a piece of 20mm conduit I just do it. We've pointed out a million times that 25mm would be better but do you think these companys listen to mates? :p

This isn't just about damaging the cables during installation, but what about heat dissapation. There comes a time when you have to stand up for what you beleive to be right or wrong.
I understand your a mate, and your probably not in a position to influence the bosses, but i was on that job, I'd be having kittens!
Obviously I'm assuming that the cables will be at full operating temp, and not sized larger because if volt drop.

T&E isn't designed to be flexible whereas singles are, and as such can be pulled around bends more easily. My old company seemed obsessed with T&E in plastic conduit, which often involves pulling the cable in as you construct the conduit, which is against some reg which says you have to construct the containment first before you start pulling cables in.
IMO T&E in plastic conduit is fine for switch/socket drops from basket in a 'low risk' installation such as an office, but if the cable is to be contained in conduit or trunking for the whole length you're better off using singles. What I've done in the past is run T&E in basket then drop down to dado trunking in plastic conduit, then wire the dado trunking in singles; this was a big job where buying in multiple cable types was an option - if you're just wiring a domestic garage you'd probably want to use one cable type.

Reply to t & e in 20mm conduit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net