Discuss Telephone Lines ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,

Need some telephone line advice - probably extremely simple...

Is there a tool you can buy (other than an actual telephone) which you can plug into your incoming telephone lines to see if its wired correctly and getting a dial tone? (Similar to an RJ45 tester with the 8 green indicators used to test 2 ends of a cable).

Can a main BT telephone socket with A and B terminals be replaced with a master socket if terminals 2 and 5 are used instead?

Cheers!

This often has Orange, White, Green and Black wires. Usually (but not always) Orange and White are the active pair and go to connections 2 and 5. In some master boxes (such as the type with a removable front section) they go to two connectors marked A and B.

Can a main BT telephone socket with A and B terminals be replaced with a master socket if terminals 2 and 5 are used instead?
Can a main BT telephone socket with A and B terminals be replaced with a master socket if terminals 2 and 5 are used instead
Orange and White are the active pair and go to connections 2 and 5. In some master boxes (such as the type with a removable front section) they go to two connectors marked A and B.

Like this.

Attachments

• tele adaptor.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 16
I thought it was blue to 2???

never mind

I keep an old wired telephone handset in the van for testing if I wire in an extension. Needing it less and less these days

If you have 48-50V DC between the line pair (2 & 5) as measured with a voltmeter, unless there is a high-resistance connection it will probably work. Once you've got that far, the best test device is a phone and 17070 to test speech quality, ringing and insulation. There are special linesman's test telephones aka butt sets, but you don't need one of those to prove a line is working.

The NTE5 linebox differs from a master socket (LJU) in having terminals suitable for connecting a dropwire (rather than IDCs) on the line side, a removable panel for disconnecting the secondary sockets, and a filter on the bell wire (pin 3). Historically, master LJUs were used for the same purpose - note that a line master LJU has the surge arrestor but a PABX master does not.

If you have 48-50V DC between the line pair (2 & 5) as measured with a voltmeter, unless there is a high-resistance connection it will probably work. Once you've got that far, the best test device is a phone and 17070 to test speech quality, ringing and insulation. There are special linesman's test telephones aka butt sets, but you don't need one of those to prove a line is working.

The NTE5 linebox differs from a master socket (LJU) in having terminals suitable for connecting a dropwire (rather than IDCs) on the line side, a removable panel for disconnecting the secondary sockets, and a filter on the bell wire (pin 3). Historically, master LJUs were used for the same purpose - note that a line master LJU has the surge arrestor but a PABX master does not.

Morning all,

Thanks for the replies.

My reason for posting was because I've got a ATM requiring a phone line with its existing BT master socket missing the front faceplate.
I was therefore going to replace it with a new point but didnt know if the new point would need A and B connections like the original or if I can connect the incoming line directly into terminals 2 and 5 on a point which doesn't have A and B terminals . Still unsure whether this will work but I assume it will?

It's B.T's line and B.T.'s socket.
You need them to fix the socket and test the line or rather the Owner /Tennant of the property needs to get B.T in.

But when the problem could be solved at the expense of a couple of quid and a couple of punch down tool presses for a customer who has invested a lot more than that, I would like to get it sorted for him if possible without having to involve BT who will more than likely send someone to take a look, send someone else to go get the parts, and then send someone else to fit them!

The bt master socket is BT’s property.... their responsibility.

they shouldn’t charge the customer for a repair. Unless, say, someone else has been tampering with the equipment

I wouldn't have thought a missing front plate would be classed as a repair though would it?

I'd guess they would more than likely send a cost for attendance and parts when the engineer reports back.

Would no doubt be cheaper and quicker for me to do it while on-site if possible. Just need to know if I would need a like for like replacement and use the same terminals!

Reply to Telephone Lines ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net