Discuss Testers- specific features info from owners required in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gmchris

Hi, i am looking for a budget (that means ebay) tester, but need to make sure it has the features i need first. I test full time- have since 1998, but recently been made redundant and now self employed, but i need something like this;

must be multifunction with con, ins res, el, rcd(seperates a pain when doing dead and live tests consecutively)
must have continuous continuity (lock on) feature, with data hold (so i can plug into a light klick rose, leave it on the steps whilst i walk to a push (non latching) wall switch, and return to see what the reading was)
Must have continuous ins resistance setting,
Must have data hold on earth loop- same reason as above
Must have non-trip earth loop for rcds.
phase rotation nice but not essential,
not bothered about downloading certs etc.

I can hear the shouts of Megger 1552!! already, and to be honest i have used one for nearly 2 years and loved it, but my budget wont stretch that far and i'm looking for a hidden bargain, maybe a recent metrel or something leftfield but useful. I have just bought an old but just calibrated Metrel, but it's too erratic on loop tests really, and a 3 hand job, i really need a neck strap with auto tests. I am also concerned that my meggars only lasted 6-8 months before needing repair, always stopped doing insulation resistance tests. to be fair they did 100-200 circuits a week.

Any ideas?

Check out the Martindale Veritest range VR2230 and 2240 (the 2250 is over specified and will be OTT on price) and the Dilog 9083P. The Dilog has a number of supporters on here and tends to be the bargain MFT on Fleabay.
The Seaward Powerplus 1557 is worth a look also, sub £300 examples are usually battered and not worth considering, but occasionally a good one turns up without its leads and/or manual.
The Metrel range is diverse and the model naming/numbering confusing (to me at least), you will need a devotee to guide you on the best choices there.
Older equipment from the likes of Robin won't have a viable no-trip earth loop test, their D Lok system of DC swamping the RCD is crude and unreliable with BS EN RCDs.
In the past I would have suggested Kewtech kit but they have on-going issues of unreliability with their MFTs.
Fluke and Megger MFTs sell for premium prices on Fleabay, not much chance of a bargain, but keep your eyes open just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you hit tne nail on the head there- fluke and meggar hold their prices too well, and although they are undoubtedly good, i'm sure that with a bit of research there is something else as good without the expensive badge. I looked at Martindale but the 2230 only gives a resolution of 1 ohm on non-trip loop, will check out the 2240. Does anyone on here use a Dilog or latest Metrel that does all the above?

Hi Mate, I have a martindale veritest 2240 and really like it, It does everything I need it to do, but as you said when doing a non trip loop test you always get a reading of 1 ohm so I dont use it for that and instead use a robin kmp non trip loop tester for non trip loop tests.
Also if you buy a veritest you will need to buy the case with the neck strap otherwise its near impossible to hold and test, the batteries dont seem to last long either and does not function properly with cheap batteries (which I have found to be the same on other test meters)
Cheers Chris

Reply to Testers- specific features info from owners required in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net