Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss That old Chestnut. Notifiable Work... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Thomas Connolly

Thomas Connolly Regular EF Member

Greetings,

I just need some advice on whether or not my work is notifiable as I'm sure it isn't, but a visit from the building inspector says it is.......

I know it's sometimes a grey area but I can't see it needing to be certifiable.

Details,

Tiny Porch, 2.5mx3m with an entrance to the house and a small toilet (with toilet and sink only)
    A ceiling rose in both the entrance and the toilet and an outside light by the front door .

I've just extended the existing downstairs lighting to all three new light fittings with the main feed coming from the switches to the lamps.

I've stated that it's not a new circuit, not in a special location considering its attached to the dwelling and run from existing internal wiring but LABC have stated that as it's an outside light it needs notifying .

Any help would be appreciated, is this classed as garden lighting perhaps?

Thanks in advance (ps I have searched the internet for an answer but seems everyone is saying different things so looking for someone to set the record straight for me so sorry if some of you will have to regurgitate old info said many times before)

Cheers, T .

2. Thomas Connolly

Also, switches are located in the entrance . 1 gang for the toilet and a twobgand switch controlling entrance light and outside light .

3. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    As far as I am aware, there are certain conditions that require it to be notified, but if you've come straight out into the light (i.e. there are no external switches or anything like that), it's not notifiable in England, in Wales it is I believe.

4. Thomas Connolly

That's exactly what I thought having looked through Regs and Part P wording I can't see why it would fall under notifiable work.
    I know Wales still class external lighting as notifiable but as you've said, I was certain in the UK it was declassified and not notifiable.
    I'm hoping not anyway!

5. gazdkw82

gazdkw82 Trainee Trainee Access

I don't think it's notifiable work.

6. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

There’s different notification requirements in England Scotland and Wales .
    All of these are in the “UK”

Where exactly do you live then?

7. Thomas Connolly

I live in England so can go ahead and argue that it's non notifiable work right?

8. solarsavings

solarsavings Electrician's Arms

Had similar before and it ended up with bco claiming that they use the "robust document" if you get a **** they can make life difficult even when they are in the wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thomas Connolly

Luckily the Inspector is a decent bloke and I think he just needs a little convincing. I just wanted to have some ammo to fire back with if he questions why I'm saying is not notifiable .

• Like Like x 1
  10. kropaske

kropaske Regular EF Member

Imho no notification needed but if they signing job as whole they may ask for some certification to verify that install has been done to bs7671

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Agree - they don't need a notification under Part P but are entitled to ask for cert.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. tlangdon12

tlangdon12 Regular EF Member

You can't really do more than show the BC Officer section 25 in the Approved Part P document (page 6). None of the changes you are making are listed in Regulation 12(6A), as shown in the Approved Document.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thomas Connolly

Thanks Guys .
    Thought as much. All been very helpful. When you say cert, are you meaning an EIC?

• Like Like x 1
  15. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    EIC or even MWC for that job. and it's deffo not notifiable under part pee.

• Like Like x 1