Discuss The best route for the future. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jordw

I'm going to be applying for college for Electrical Engineer, they offer two routes -

ContentWhat's it all about?
The course offers two routes into Electrical. You can train as an Electronic Engineer where you will develop circuits, panels and installations or manage and maintain production sites. You will work mostly out on site but will also spend time working in an office. You can also train as an electrician where you will fit, test and repair electrical installations found in homes and businesses.

Which would be a better route to take in the course for the future prospects and pay. I wan't to work in either line which ever has the best pay and enjoyment

FULL LINK - Electrical/Electronic Engineering Level 3 BTEC Diploma | Full Time | Electrical | Leeds College of Building

First one,second one is totally oversubscribed and being filled by idiots who do 5 week courses thinking they can "do houses".

Good Electronics/industrial fault finding sparks are always in demand,I've only ever been out of work after I dropped out of the trade to attempt something else which failed dismally.

week to week you may get more working on site etc but most factory/production jobs give you paid holidays,pensions,sick money plus 9/10 in a better environment than a site (summer excluded!!).

What is the expected salary as you progress in comparison with domestic work?

Once qualified should be min £30k on shifts but with a big firm like ford,jaguar etc more like £40k.

ive earned £60k from factory based jobs in the past with a lot of o/t but never since I finished my apprenticeship below £25k and that was 1999!!!!

A very good career and standard of living can be had.

in the good times site sparks could easily match that on days and most likely hide a lot of tax etc through their accounts but now times are bad I've seen those sort of jobs going for as low as £9 an hour.
your protected if your JIB but those jobs again are getting harder and harder to come by.
put it this way,your average joe looking to save money feels confident to wire up a few sockets in his spare bedroom,while would he feel the same swapping out a 415v welding socket?
doubt it,yet the principles are the same,just the fear factor is higher.
i personally think its more fun but there is more of a "craft" to installation stuff.
horses for courses really.

Reply to The best route for the future. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net