Discuss The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

think it's more that the human brain sees it's wrong and corrects it. if it were just the 1st and last letter, then 100% of poelpe could raed it. ( excludes those with IQ rating in single figures, eg. plumbers).

In South Africa, our job description was Master Installation Electrician, being able to install, maintain and certify explosive and inflammable installations.

I believe in the US an apprentice becomes a journeyman when he qualifies, then becomes a master electrician once he has enough experience. I think the master electrician is similar to the JIB approved electrician grade.

I believe this mirrors the way trade apprenticeships worked in this country hundreds of years ago.
In South Africa, our job description was Master Installation Electrician, being able to install, maintain and certify explosive and inflammable installations.

Polyphase is also an US term for Split Phase Ie 2 phases that’s what I was referring to.

I was 15th/16th Edition always referred it as “Live” things change.

There is still obsolete 2 phase power being used in some areas of the US, Philadelphia is one city where it still exists, I have never seen it though. Polyphase refers to either 2 or 3 phase, it would not refer to what you call "split phase" but is considered single phase.

There is still obsolete 2 phase power being used in some areas of the US, Philadelphia is one city where it still exists, I have never seen it though. Polyphase refers to either 2 or 3 phase, it would not refer to what you call "split phase" but is considered single phase.
Certainly I would refer to 110-0-110 style of supplies as "centre-tapped" and not polyphase - that (to me at least) implies phase angles other than 0/180 deg that you can get from a single phase supply & transformer.

As you say, 2-phase exists but is very unusual as 3-phase is better is practically every way. You used to see 6-phase (or more, which can be generated by weird transformer arrangements from a 3-phase input) when feeding large DC rectifiers to get a smoother output, but these days it would be electronically converted and regulated that way.

I still want to know what a master electrician is compared to a journeyman electrician...

can you be a master journeyman....

and what the heck is a pony panel

I still want to know what a master electrician is compared to a journeyman electrician...

can you be a master journeyman....

and what the heck is a pony panel
In London, black cab drivers are "Journeymen" if they don't own their cab... if they do own it, they're "Mushers"... no idea where any of that comes from.

In London, black cab drivers are "Journeymen" if they don't own their cab... if they do own it, they're "Mushers"... no idea where any of that comes from.
That is another thing, when we hear "black cab driver" in the UK we know it is a driver of a black cab (hackney carriage)!

Somethings I noticed
Ground = Earth
We don't use EMT conduit only RIGID and no real maths for bends etc.

We don't use those turn things for connecting wires - we use connector block or Wagos

your Light switches often look oblong ours are mainly square - no idea why.

Reply to The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net