Search the forum,

Discuss The dark art of... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

...PRICING!!

I have done a load of rewires as a subby on dayrate but never done my own private one of this size. The method i am ok with, the pricing not so...!

Upstairs maisonette stripped bare, conduit in place for easy(?!) pull thru for light switches. Floorboards exposed and loft access. Fairly textbook. Not occupied. I make it 62 ' points'.

Materials look to cost between £800-£1000. Plastic newlec is the spec.

I usually charge £40 an hour for private work. I think a reasonable rate of labour 'per point' however is an hour and a half - i think £50 instead of £60 as it is a big job is reasonable.

This puts it at £1000 for parts and £3100 for labour. I was thinking with board and cert that £4500 is ok. I am not VAT registered as sole trader not making £78000 a year (yet!!)

The job is in edgeware and i wondered what others in outer london (or nearabouts/equivalent) thought about this price.

V quick run down ('per point' figure is more accurate without going into silly detail) It is 2 bed maisonette, pendants throughout but downlites in kitchen and bathroom. Tv point in beds and lounge. No extra bt points. Kitchen will need 4 appliances and 6mm cooker feed.

I think thats it!!

Thanks all

you're not far out. a bit high if it's 1 or 2 bed maisonette. if it's 3 bed you're pretty well spot on.

Thanks mate. Have you considered i am in london? Just wondered as i think if i remember you are 'up north' (?!?!)

I know prices vary a lot round the country.

Thanks again

ah, forgot about the london bit. i was thinking of prices where there is grass between houses.

In rooms where you have downlights I don't think you can apply the "per point" cost, so maybe take a view on these areas.

Will you get off street parking or will you have to pay?

Interesting - Do you think for total of 16 downlights i should count as ten points then? I think a downlight takes as long to terminate and run. Imho!

Parking is all sweet. No restrictions.

I always price work on how long i think it will take, 5-6 day's 6-7.
The number of point's only comes into it when calculating material cost's.
As the place is empty with no carpet's or the like i would put a very competative price in to try and get the job, it will be a good first solo contract and presuming you have a key to come and go as you please, you could put the hour's in and rattle it off easily within five day's.
So say £2000 labour, ain't bad for a week's graft.

I dont understand it that's £700 ish labour for a long week's work. Mind you i heard that the romanian 'travellers' will work for £40 a day. Not being racist here but these people are cutting everyone's throats!!!

Either that or its a massive extras bill!!

I dont understand it that's £700 ish labour for a long week's work. Mind you i heard that the romanian 'travellers' will work for £40 a day. Not being racist here but these people are cutting everyone's throats!!!

Either that or its a massive extras bill!!
It will be a massive dog's dinner at that price.

Hi Eddie I work down your way as I'm based in Staines - I charge similar to you at £40 per hour. Assuming 5 days work =£1600 labour and a grand for materials £2600-2800 would be a competitive tender.
With the internet consumers are becoming very price savvy.
Have a look at this site which is one of many.
http://www.whatprice.co.uk/electrician/wiring.html

What's your companies website as I'm always looking for fellow sparkies in my area to tie up with.

Cheers Rich

Ok it does give ball park figures for work, outside of London.

But it also states a socket install to existing will take an hour, including travel time? How can they say that? They don't know where you are travelling from and they say nothing of certification.

Those sites are really f*cking us over. People see them and think an hours work should cost them £20 with travel included.

Richard, i will pm you mate

Hi Eddie I work down your way as I'm based in Staines - I charge similar to you at £40 per hour. Assuming 5 days work =£1600 labour and a grand for materials £2600-2800 would be a competitive tender.

What's your companies website as I'm always looking for fellow sparkies in my area to tie up with.

Cheers Rich

Time to put my rates up me thinks......:35:

Hi Murdoch I pondered long and hard on whether to include my address on the site. My number 1 rule when shopping online is 'no phone number no sale'.
Between the email and contact number I thought there would be enough contact points. for most searchers.
Google brings up my address on google+ , the electrical safety register and TrustMark. Not sure a lack of address really affects people looking for a qualified Electrican online, though now you have mentioned the subject I will start a new thread and see what others on the forum think. Will research online and see what I can dig up. Taa

Hi Murdoch I pondered long and hard on whether to include my address on the site. My number 1 rule when shopping online is 'no phone number no sale'.
Between the email and contact number I thought there would be enough contact points. for most searchers.
Google brings up my address on google+ , the electrical safety register and TrustMark. Not sure a lack of address really affects people looking for a qualified Electrican online, though now you have mentioned the subject I will start a new thread and see what others on the forum think. Will research online and see what I can dig up. Taa

I've always had my address on my site and looking at my webstats people come to the site and see the address, then call me, just saying.

I put my postcode on my site. Its a fine line between not wanting to give all your information away and also wanting to get a bit of work!! Tough one i agree

Reply to The dark art of... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net