Discuss The integrity of 2.5mm "flex" vs. Twin & Earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is there any rule, as per the regs, that states that flexible cable can or should not be joined with T&E for the purposes of extending?

When I say "flex" of course I mean the stuff that you can twist the cores with your fingers vs T&E, which is a lot tougher and requires a tool, but is still multistrand copper.

This question could also extend to single core T&E cable too. I am guessing that there shouldn't be a problem really, because the same theory could apply to single core cable and multistrand being joined together, right?

Of course as long as the guage size remains the same, what is the real problem?

You need to confirm the characteristics of the flex match the T&E and using it wont compromise the circuit, also the regs do have tables for calcs for round flex cables so check these too, when terminating ensure good contact of multi-strand flex by crimping or soldering(tinning the ends if not used in screw terminals)...
PS what is single core T&E ??????? its a contradiction of itself.. do you mean singles pvc/pvc?

Last edited:
...what is single core T&E ??????? its a contradiction of itself.. do you mean singles pvc/pvc?

I think the OP means T&E of 2.5mm or less, ie not having multi-stranded conductors

I too like soldering, especially with my gas iron that is no trouble to get out of the tool box, but was told on another thread recently that it's not a good idea.

I'm new here, and have observed that trying to get electricians to agree is like trying to herd cats :)

Last edited:

Reply to The integrity of 2.5mm "flex" vs. Twin & Earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net