Discuss Things we do family! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Usually a Sunday afternoon involves doing nothing but our Lass's Dad has got me round at their house because they haven't got power on half of the down stairs ring! Best thing is he's gone down to the pub and left me here not allowing me to pull any of the kitchen appliances out to check the sockets! Half of sockets working half are not! 230v between line and earth and 16v between line and neutral and 230v between neutral and earth. Hoping it just a dropped neutral but doesn't help when I can't pull the appliances out to check! Rant over.

Why can't you unplug the appliances? if he's gone down the boozer who's to know?

Well after about four hours investigating and checking connections all sockets just started working except for a Honeywell Programmer. I took the front off and left it 10 minutes, plugged it back in and works fine! No idea what's been happening.

If it had been me I'd have walked in then walked straight back out when he said he was going to the pub,anyone wanting my help for free knows that they have to stay around in case I want a hand,either that or they get a bill when they come back.

If it had been me I'd have walked in then walked straight back out when he said he was going to the pub,anyone wanting my help for free knows that they have to stay around in case I want a hand,either that or they get a bill when they come back.

Thats right Phil... you tell em!! Now go get in yout car nice and early so you can have the gas on and the house all warm for your lady friend who needs a hand.. :wink:

Usually a Sunday afternoon involves doing nothing but our Lass's Dad has got me round at their house because they haven't got power on half of the down stairs ring! Best thing is he's gone down to the pub and left me here not allowing me to pull any of the kitchen appliances out to check the sockets! Half of sockets working half are not! 230v between line and earth and 16v between line and neutral and 230v between neutral and earth. Hoping it just a dropped neutral but doesn't help when I can't pull the appliances out to check! Rant over.

Been me I would have packed up my tools and joined him in the pub, if he said anything I would have replied well you can't be to bothered as you pi$$ed off down here so I thought I would join you.

Reply to Things we do family! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net