Discuss Thought I found a nuisance trip but I didn’t. Any advice to my questions...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would suggest you should purchase the clamp meter, it is invaluable in the situation you describe, it will give you an instant guide to the problem, just put it around L+N (not around the cpc as this will not give you all the leakage).
Yeah I think if he decides he still wants me to carry on looking I will buy one. Which one do you use?

I was looking at the TIS560 as it has nice big jaws and it has good reviews seems pretty accurate too.

I would have started with some insulation resistance tests. Usually, an RCD is tripping due to a fault which an IR test will show up.

First of all a quick global test to earth. If that shows a fault (I.e <1Mohm) I would then be testing each curcuit individually. A tripping RCD usually shows a fault around 0.01Mohms.

If the global test was ok, then I would use the earth leakage clamp as I would suspect combined leakage from things plugged in (which is becoming more common). I would clamp the tails rather than the main earth as this will give a more accurate measurement.

Plus, as SC says, I would be testing the RCD. I would text this at the RCD with nothing connected. It's very rare to have a faulty RCD, but possible.

If all that fails, then I'd be starting a thread of my own on here!
Hi thanks for your reply. Ramp test and IR test have been done. My next step is the earth leakage meter like some of you suggested.

a quick way to measure leakage is to ramp test the RCD with all circuits and loads connected. then with all dissed. the difference will be the leakage .
Tried this but I think it might have been with only the fridge in and it was still 21ma (same as with everything disconnected). Will have to do it again with all his stuff plugged in.

Thanks for your reply

This would be my budget choice:
Looks and spec identical to DiLOG meter, 200mA range fine for leak test, 200A range OK for checking total loads, etc.
I think you did link this leakage tester to me on another thread and I did have a look at some reviews and stuff and it doesn’t seem reliable thought it is cheap. Watched a YouTube vid and the reading fluctuate massively depending on where the cable is in the jaw, people commented to agree too. I don’t mind spending a bit more for something reliable but nothing crazy like for a megger or fluke.

Was looking to buy this one if I do get one:

I think you did link this leakage tester to me on another thread and I did have a look at some reviews and stuff and it doesn’t seem reliable thought it is cheap. Watched a YouTube vid and the reading fluctuate massively depending on where the cable is in the jaw, people commented to agree too. I don’t mind spending a bit more for something reliable but nothing crazy like for a megger or fluke.
I have found it OK, but if you are happy to spend more than that also looks like a good deal.

Reply to Thought I found a nuisance trip but I didn’t. Any advice to my questions...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net