Currently reading:
Tight fit or room to spare?

Discuss Tight fit or room to spare? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LeighSawczyn

Does 6mm2 SWA fit into 25mm Blue MDPE Pipe. The idea being to protect the cable from damp soil or water ingress when it is buried, not for mechanical protection. No tight radii to worry about just a 10-15m straight run.

Think E54 will confirm this, it’s standard practice to confirm the integrity of the outer serving a few days after the back fill has been done no matter what the system voltage is.

Most of our UG supplies relied on the armour as the earth (no CPC then) to have it corrode away could be disastrous. In reality it never would be that bad as the numerous X linked cables maintained integrity.
We used high conductivity armouring where 1 in 5 armours is tinned copper. These cables are special order, you put one at risk by poor installation methods and there would be all hell to pay.

A sheath test would be normal before the ends were connected. I don’t know what voltage E54 uses but I’ve always used 250V DC between the armours and earth.

We don't always sheath test SWA's but if we do we usually common together all the conductors and the sheath and run 1kV through it which is usually what their ins is rated to.

I agree that it's prob best to put it in a duct, due to sharps/stone in the backfill material but put it in a proper cable duct as Ruston says you wouldn't want people thinking it's a water pipe. Plus if you put it in a a proper cable duct it would be easier to replace should some one have to at any point in the future, you would have a hell of job trying to replace a SWA through a bit of 25mm poly pipe lol

If it has been installed correctly before you backfill the excavation the cable should be covered with a layer of sand to stop the cable being damaged by stones or sharps.

If it has been installed correctly before you backfill the excavation the cable should be covered with a layer of sand to stop the cable being damaged by stones or sharps.

Do it properly? Too much trouble for many. Get it in quick and hide it before Tony sees it, that’s where the sheath test came in.
Most of my work involving UG cables was in a quarry. You want sand, how many tonnes? Chatter by the wagon load if needed.
At the foundry we used granulated slag as the infill, again, how many tonnes?

Do it properly? Too much trouble for many. Get it in quick and hide it before Tony sees it, that’s where the sheath test came in.
Most of my work involving UG cables was in a quarry. You want sand, how many tonnes? Chatter by the wagon load if needed.
At the foundry we used granulated slag as the infill, again, how many tonnes?

Was on the way but got a dam puncture lol

Attachments

• 22843-1f.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 72
If it isn't an insulator does that mean it must be a conductor?

(Please don't shout at me Mr Grumpy Git sir)

Smart arse! ;)

Yes it is an insulator but in the terms of electrical isolation in a cable that isn’t its function. Its function is purely to protect the armourings.

Lucian Nunnes of the Electrotechnica Museum mentioned unserved armoured cable. I’ll be honest I didn’t believe him. He posted these, I couldn’t argue then.

Unserved20PILCSWA202_zps3db23391.jpg

Unserved20PILCSWA203_zps6a8e4282.jpg

This picture shows unserved tape armoured cables. I’ve not worked on tape armoured since I was an apprentice, like everyone else I finish up with shredded finger ends. The stuff is bloody evil. When you cut it you have two barbs waiting to stab your hand and the joy of razor sharp tapes.

Unserved20PILCSWA201_zps345e86da.jpg

Reply to Tight fit or room to spare? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock