Currently reading:
To remove or not to remove the unused MCB's

Discuss To remove or not to remove the unused MCB's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
I came across a CU with one RCD. Two ring circuits are on 32 Amp MCB each and 3 lighting circuits on 6 Amp MCB each; the other MCB’s are left on the CU serving no circuits. Should I remove them and put blanking plates (plastic) to cover the hole or leave them there with label “not in use”

This is my assessment, what would be the best practice?

Cheers!

The CU is one of those "Magnuss" 16th edtion boards and I have only done a spur extension for "Minor Job for assessment" - I did not put that in. I will see if I could remove & put blanking plates, else I will mark them "Spare".

Thanks for all your replies!

Last edited:
Take them out & sell them on E-Bay !!! ;)
And if I were the householder I’d be after your blood for theft. It’s the householder’s property, it’s up to them what to do.

I should bear this in mind "Thou shalt not steal." (Exodus 20:15 KJV) and if I steal God will send "rats" on me when I work in the loft.

I will mark them "Spare"

Thanks guys, for the caution!

Last edited:
leave them for sure its not your property is it
It's not a question of "my property or theirs" but I wanted to know if it's good practice to leave the unused MCB's on the board or replace them with blanking plates (I will certainly hand over the removed MCB's to the home owner for safe keeping)

I have just done a twin socket on a spur extension from a ring as a minor job for my assessment and this board with MCB was already in place. Would the assessor raise question about the MCB's being left there?

Cheers!

I'd leave them there personally, at the end of the day your cert will state what work you've done so your covered if they diy something on. Added to that they are their MCB's and might come in handy if anything else gets added on later, esp if it's much later and you can't get another MCB to fit.

Don't see it as bad practice as they're doing no harm just being in the board. As for the diy'er adding something on, well if they add want to add something they'll do it any way and probably just in the nearest thing with another existing circuit, you can't legislate for what a diy'er might do.

Leave them in this scenario.

On my own jobs if they arn't being used i wont fit them and use a blanking plate. Hate it when someone marksthe up as spare, then when you go in and have to add another circuit, you have to find a label to cover the permenent pen they use to write spare

And if I were the householder I’d be after your blood for theft. It’s the householder’s property, it’s up to them what to do.

Oh dear.

Didn't you realise that I was making a joke?

Ok, maybe I'm not in the same league as Telextrix - either as a comedian or a spark - but the smiley ;) at the end should have been the give-away !!

For the record though; I would remove them & hand them to their rightful owner & fill the gaps with blanks ..... just as I did today. :)

I'd remove and fit blanks give mcb's to householder. better to have less confusion at the CU if they have a problem.

Been to a house today to change a 3-gang dimmer switch. Isolated downstairs lighting, still live, isolated upstairs, still live? Hold on...........theres two SPARE. Isolated one, one switch isolated?! Eh??? Isolated the second and the rest was isolated!!
Either or either I think, people still do what they like.

Reply to To remove or not to remove the unused MCB's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock