Discuss To use an RCBO or not to use an RCBO . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Right Men, hear me out on this please.
I have a series of Rolec power pedestals with 2x 16 amp socket outlets on each one, each socket os protected by a C16 amp 30 mili amp double pole RCBO.
The supply cable is SWA and id inside an underground duct direct from the DB to the pillar, each pillar (there are two) has its own supply.
Now back at the DB each pillar is fed from a 32amp rcbo 30 mili amps instead of what I think should be just an MCB.
We all know that 100 miliamp time delay would be better at the Db to stop nuciance tripping which it does, and when I was doing RCD tests last week it was nigh impossible to keep my temper down with the rcbo at the board constantly tripping.
My question is does this installation need an RCBO at source when the cable is in a duct and completely protected.
Cannot quite see the reason.
Many thanks
Alexander.

The SWA if correctly installed is a cable with an earthed metallic covering so would not require 30mA RCD protection even if installed in a wall. As the cable is also in a duct there is no requirement for 30mA RCD protection.
As Telectrix states only if the installation at the DB is a TT system, without an ultra low Ra, would an RCD for fault protection be required, in that case the rating of the RCD would need to be low enough to operate with the existing Ra value and because of the 30mA RCBOs at the final circuits the RCD would need to be selective to allow discrimination.
The existing arrangement is not too bad from a compliance point of view because each RCD is protecting the same circuit so there is no nuisance tripping whichever one goes, but as you say the testing is a real nuisance.

Reply to To use an RCBO or not to use an RCBO . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net