Discuss Tools for detecting hazardous electricity in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Veeeee

DIY
Reaction score
DIY
I want to detect for ‘loose’ or ‘hazardous’ electricity in the floor/walls/ceiling of my home.
I get a vibrating electrical sensation in my body when I sleep and I think it might be related to an old fridge perhaps or some loose wire somewhere in the room.

Any advice on which devices I can buy to detect this please?

Many thanks
Vee

First rule out the obvious.

And is it an electrical “feeling” or just an irritating buzzing noise?

Anything that has built in circuitry can cause a buzz or a hum. The fixed wiring within walls is generally not doing anything until you plug something in.

So check for noise from fluorescent or LED lights, fridges, freezers, TVs and other electronic equipment. Etc.
Completely unplug one thing each night to narrow down what it could be.

First rule out the obvious.

And is it an electrical “feeling” or just an irritating buzzing noise?

Anything that has built in circuitry can cause a buzz or a hum. The fixed wiring within walls is generally not doing anything until you plug something in.

So check for noise from fluorescent or LED lights, fridges, freezers, TVs and other electronic equipment. Etc.
Completely unplug one thing each night to narrow down what it could be.
Its not a noise, its a low vibrating and oscillating sensation of a current passing through my body.

I think the first place to start would be to get an electrician round to do a EICR
this is an electrical safety report that will flag up any safety issues.

As James has said, find a reputable electrician (we can help there) and have them inspect and test the electrical installation of your home, paying particular attention to the room in which you sleep and any electrical appliances/devices in that room.

Touch voltage testers will tell you there is some voltage somewhere, just not very reliable telling you where, some are far better than others.

Touch meters are extremely unreliable ...... They are a waste of time
Don't agree with that conclusion at all. They are far from a waste of time, but you do have to know how and what they detect and interpret it correctly - like the time I found that one indicated I had a 'live' earth wire. FI indicated that the earth was as it should be, and it was the floor I was standing on, me, and the surrounding concrete walls that were 'live' because of a faulty cable in the wall.

So no touch meters are best
EG
Something like this:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/c-k-ac-non-contact-mains-voltage-tester-1000v-ac/5015x

?
No they will not help in the slightest. Don’t waste your money On gadgets that do not work.
@SparkyChick in post 8 has given the only good and correct advice. Go with that.

Are we going to go back to "sleeping on an earth mat", I remember a very long thread on that subject.
I remember that thread. Please don’t start another.

Had a customer once, who insisted that any strappers for 2 way switches were wired in 3&E, with the 3rd core carrying the neutral current for the circuit, to ensure that the net magnetic field around all cables was zero.

Had a customer once, who insisted that any strappers for 2 way switches were wired in 3&E, with the 3rd core carrying the neutral current for the circuit, to ensure that the net magnetic field around all cables was zero.
That was once a thing for reducing interference with something. Hearing aids perhaps? I can't really remember but it was discussed when I was at college about 17 years ago. Where has that time gone.

Reply to Tools for detecting hazardous electricity in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net