Discuss Travelling quite a way.... thoughts please... is it worth it ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning chaps....

Just seeing what you think of this one, anyone have a similar scenario, is it really worth it. I just hate turning work down.

Basically got a job to price up : very big extension on domestic property, would be ideal if this was within my area, but it's a 100 mile round trip, 1 hour there and 1 hour back.

Job probably worth around 5k (+extras), which is big for me anyway. Estimating it would take up approx 4 weeks of my time, but obviously not all in one hit.

Not too fussed if I don't get it as will be a lot of hassle and have enough going on.

Going to stick a price in anyway + an allowance for travel. But just wondering what I should put for this...?

Cheers then,

Sy

Why did they contact an electrician 50 miles away? If it’s through recommendation then you’re in with a chance of travel expenses. If they just picked you out of the yellow pages then it will go on price and expenses could be the straw that breaks the camels back. Again if it’s recommendation then you’re likely to get more work out of it.

Why did they contact an electrician 50 miles away? If it’s through recommendation then you’re in with a chance of travel expenses. If they just picked you out of the yellow pages then it will go on price and expenses could be the straw that breaks the camels back. Again if it’s recommendation then you’re likely to get more work out of it.

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply..... sorry bit more info:

Job is through an architect, that I've just recently been introduced to and he doesn't have a regular sparky (my mate is his plumber.) Haven't done any work as of yet, only been in touch with him a couple of weeks and have had 3 set of plans for different jobs. 2 of them in my area which is good, but just this other one which is miles away.

I would politely decline the opportunity on the basis of its location/travelling time & cost/ability to support etc - your honesty will probably enhance your reputation with the architect.

I'd be inclined to try and do all the work the thrown my way by an architect, particularly one who is looking for a regular electrician. Turn this one down and someone else will get their foot in the door and you may not get another chance.

I would have to agree with Lenny. I would not want to let someone else in. Could be costly in the long run. Priced right the travelling should not be a bother. I have done many many jobs that I had to travel more than an hour to. Would not worry me to do more. This is not the first thread with someone not really wanting to drive to a job. I do not understand that in the present climate I thought that any chance of work would be good??

Depending on the hours you work, let's say 8 hours a day, so price it at 6 hours a day

So instead of 20 days, you would need to price for 25 days, and if you don't want the job, just price it for 40 days, take your time and do s first class jon

I would not have a problem, I regularly travel around 50 –60 miles. Architects can give you a lot of work, so you probably don’t want tolet him down on the first job.

Ian

In other occupations eg office worker, they travel to work and take on average 30-45 mins each way. In this case off you being offered the first job from a potential source of quality jobs I would bite the bullet and not charge any extra. Try and finish half an hour early each day to level things out a bit.

I found myself in a similar position last week. Couple of call outs to Manchester (just over an hour each way) and I havent charged for travel time due to getting a decent hourly rate and also this is a new sub contract contact for me. Just found out I'm going back tomorrow to sort out some display lighting before the shop opens, it will only take me an hour but what should I invoice? 3 hours total + extra for a Sunday on a bank holiday weekend? Think i'll charge 2 hours at time and a half and leave it at that, at least I'll get more work from them.

Bite the bullit and do the job.
Dont be greedy and build your fuel costs but not travel time into the job. He needs a spark and the plumbers reccomendation counts for alot. Teaming up with this fella has benefits for both of you and if its not you it will somebody else, take time to think about that one.

As has been said, turning down work from an architect would be lunacy!

I don't know where you do most of your work, but itcould just be because this is in another town you're thinking about it all wrong. If I do any work on the other side of my city it can take 45 minutes to get there at rush hour and it's probably the same for you too. An hour's drive isn't really that much if you think about it. If you're straight with the guy and say 'look, I really do want to do the work, but it's a bit of a poke so I'm going to have to price that in, but I can give you a little bit off the job' I'm sure he'll be cool with it (come on, he gets £500 to draw an attic, he's loaded).

If it's a really long way, and it's the summer months, and it's a nice big job, I've been known to sleep in the motor. It's a week of discomfort but you can start at 7am and finish at 9pm cos you've got sod all to go home for, get the job done, money money money.

When I was an Engineer in th eautomotive industry I used to travel 45 mins each way to work and never even gave it a second thought. Everyone has to travel to work after all.

I might charge an extra £20 a day to cover w&t and diesel, but that's it.

Thanks Fellas for all your thoughts there....

Looks like most of you would go for it.

I'm now just so used of driving 15-20 minutes to get to work, got so fed up with my days when subbing driving all over the place, knackered me right out. Had enough of staying away also, so not too keen on digs options, like my home comforts too much.

But if I could maybe team up with my plumber mate who lives round the corner and we could share the drive, that would be much better. Just depends on how it all plans out.

Once that first couple of weeks hard graft getting that first fix is done.... then pressure is off a bit. What does concern me is:

There is the potential to lose a LOT of time and money at the end of the job if small snags need rectifying (2 hour round trip for 10 mins work)
But as long as I do everything exactly as estimated then hopefully no problem. Will just have to get my clause worded and priced correctly allowing for travel for any extras/alterations required.

Will let you know how i get on :confused:

Have a good weekend,

Sy

In other occupations eg office worker, they travel to work and take on average 30-45 mins each way. In this case off you being offered the first job from a potential source of quality jobs I would bite the bullet and not charge any extra. Try and finish half an hour early each day to level things out a bit.

I found myself in a similar position last week. Couple of call outs to Manchester (just over an hour each way) and I havent charged for travel time due to getting a decent hourly rate and also this is a new sub contract contact for me. Just found out I'm going back tomorrow to sort out some display lighting before the shop opens, it will only take me an hour but what should I invoice? 3 hours total + extra for a Sunday on a bank holiday weekend? Think i'll charge 2 hours at time and a half and leave it at that, at least I'll get more work from them.

well I certainly would NOT charge 2 hours at time and half for getting out of bed on a Sunday. For me £200 up to 1 clock, then £40 an hour after

Reply to Travelling quite a way.... thoughts please... is it worth it ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net