Currently reading:
Travelling quite a way.... thoughts please... is it worth it ?

Discuss Travelling quite a way.... thoughts please... is it worth it ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning chaps....

Just seeing what you think of this one, anyone have a similar scenario, is it really worth it. I just hate turning work down.

Basically got a job to price up : very big extension on domestic property, would be ideal if this was within my area, but it's a 100 mile round trip, 1 hour there and 1 hour back.

Job probably worth around 5k (+extras), which is big for me anyway. Estimating it would take up approx 4 weeks of my time, but obviously not all in one hit.

Not too fussed if I don't get it as will be a lot of hassle and have enough going on.

Going to stick a price in anyway + an allowance for travel. But just wondering what I should put for this...?

Cheers then,

Sy

As has been said, not the wisest thing to do turning a job down outright. Put a price to it and explain why it might sound expensive (judging on the reaction received) especially if the client is not just a client (friend of a friend scenario). I always explain when I am in a similar situation why my price might be on the high side and add a polite note in there somewhere stating why the job is worth X amount for me and even if they can have someone else do it to the same standard for less I'd invite them to take up the opportunity. You can only present yourself, let the client do the deciding. Be honest about it and see what comes of it. Sometimes it's a case of a client paying more because they know and trust the tradesman (both in honesty and professional ability). As electricians we also have to be consultants to a certain extent: if an honest and professional electrician (rear combination at times) says it's time for a rewire then it's time for a rewire. Unfortunately many builders have abused that right and hence the modern-day hunt for the trustworthy tradesman. Sorry for the length, hope the best scenario is the outcome. Huseyin

well I certainly would NOT charge 2 hours at time and half for getting out of bed on a Sunday. For me £200 up to 1 clock, then £40 an hour after

MrEnigma I understand what your saying and I would love to charge that amount but on this occasion I'm trying to build a bridge to the promised land. Contracts are difficult to come by these days as we all know. I'd rather have a golden egg each day than kill the goose that lays them and eat it for Sunday dinner, so to say. The op is in the same situation and hopefully makes the correct choice, good luck to Sythia and fingers crossed it works out for you and that the next job is closer.

Mind and include a wee section for Alteration visits in your TnCs you know the kind of thing " that socket needs moved as the book case is bigger than we thought !" " could we have an extra light in that corner !" out with your estimate As said I recon getting onside with na architect would be a good thing and as plumber is your m8 the regular work from both will help along on the work stakes

i think its a swing and roundabout scenario.you got 2 jobs off him that are local and this one a bit of a distance,but at least its a fair size job.In my opinion I think its worth doing just the fact you have already got 3 job enquiries from this architect,it could become a regular source of income.

If I were you I would do my usual thing and factor in traveling at my usual hourly rate for one leg of the journey. That will cover your fuel costs and shouldn't put too much extra on the job. Everyone knows diesel isn't cheap these days and most people expect to pay that bit extra for travelling if the tradesman they're employing is based a long way away.

Reply to Travelling quite a way.... thoughts please... is it worth it ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back