Discuss Trialling Ads in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
I'm trialling Google Ads within posts for logged-in users, but there are now less ads.
And if you're in the ElectriciansForums Arms or above, you wont see Google Ads.

So get yourself in the 'Arms.

That should mean that the main members of the forum don't see Google ads at all.

So get yourself in the 'Arms.
Trainees can't go in the Arms (maybe we need someone to get us fake ID? ;) ).

That should mean that the main members of the forum don't see Google ads at all.
You don't consider trainees as main members of the forum, then? Interesting...

Unless, of course we are "above" Arms members? ;)

Trainees can't go in the Arms (maybe we need someone to get us fake ID? ;) ).

You don't consider trainees as main members of the forum, then? Interesting...

Unless, of course we are "above" Arms members? ;)

You've already got an entire section dedicated to you so stop being greedy :rofl:

No problem.

Quick update to this.

Members with 30 or more posts will see 1 ad unless they're in the Arms or marked as a Trainee.
Members with less than 30 posts, and not in the above usergroups, will see a few per thread page.
It depends on how many replies there are to a thread as to how many they see.

This might change again. And certainly will when we change forum software.

Ads inside posts will now be located at the top of the message area, so that it isn't easily confused with any posts with images in them.

There needs to be some ads for some visitors of the website. It keeps it free.

But anybody who's contributed to the forum a lot, has paid by way of providing content. Which is clearly the main aim of a forum. So they shouldn't need to see randomly selected ads. Just the sponsors, who clearly we try and get on board because they benefit the members in some way or are their common suppliers etc.

So finding that balance is the key really.

I understand that you need to generate some income from the site, you're a businessman not a charity. I don't mind seeing some ads, just not up in my face or causing confusion as to whether they're an ad or part of the post. I've disabled the adblock again and I can see one just under the first post, ones like that I don't think anyone will really mind.

Reply to Trialling Ads in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net