• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Tripping RCD on new Ring Main in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have installed a new ring main in a kitchen extension and tested for continuity and insulation resistance before connecting to Consumer Unit. As soon as main switch turned on, even with all the MCB's switched off, the RCD tripped. I removed all the connections to the consumer unit from the new ring and the rest of the circuits were fine. So problem is with the new ring main but I can't think what the problem is. Has anyone any advice?

I have installed a new ring main in a kitchen extension and tested for continuity and insulation resistance before connecting to Consumer Unit. As soon as main switch turned on, even with all the MCB's switched off, the RCD tripped. I removed all the connections to the consumer unit from the new ring and the rest of the circuits were fine. So problem is with the new ring main but I can't think what the problem is. Has anyone any advice?
Anything plugged in or connected via a fused spur?

Ring Final Circuit Simon not a ring main

I would say if the cables are giving the correct resistance readings,both as individuals,and in relation to each other,then what is left,is them being connected,in the wrong order...

Like Eric Morecambe...but with a MFT:)

As its morning now, and there's no drunken debauchee going on, did you do all the dead tests in order Simon, like the teetotallers suggested? :)

Reply to Tripping RCD on new Ring Main in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back