Discuss trunking and tray in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi i would never dream of having this made up for me .
jobs like this its nice to stand back when you have done it and take pride in your skill
its really not that hard just takes time
It's nice to stand back and admire it mate,but if you're on a price,you just don't have the time:)

The thing that makes me wonder is the fact the OP states that it's all going to be hung on unistrut.

If it was on show then why not fix direct to wall and have all drops coming straight down from trunking rather than sets and angle boxes coming out of the trunking and then onto the wall.

Sounds like he's converting a windmill or something??:confused:
Or a big igloo:D:D:D

oh i listen you said you may have to pay more and the end result will look good.

i would prefer to do it myself and the end result would look good

Ye i would make it myself, but unfortunetly i don,t have an engineers work shop or a galvanising bath in my place of work, don,t you think to make a good job of it being a circle and if the price is acceptable it would look better made by a local metal engineer, after all it would be a circle, and thats what the lad was asking, along with tray which to could be made as well.

hi johnny without seeing the job its hard to say the tray i would prefer to do myself.
i would enjoy making a good job of it, the trunking i think to have a circle made up in the shop
would be expensive. maybe the trunking could be replaced with conduit.

thanks for the quick response lads,
have been advised to go for the octagon route.
that is a octagon inscribed in a circle using geometry,been told a circle is 360 degrees,so an octagon having
eight sides equates to 360 dived by 8 =45 degree angles eight times.
if the radius of the circle is known,the length of trunking between each angle is found by
the formula 2rsin(a/x) or plain speaking 2 times the radius times the sine of the (angle/2 )
or so i am told by the maths wizard living next door.

thanks for the quick response lads,
have been advised to go for the octagon route.
that is a octagon inscribed in a circle using geometry,been told a circle is 360 degrees,so an octagon having
eight sides equates to 360 dived by 8 =45 degree angles eight times.
if the radius of the circle is known,the length of trunking between each angle is found by
the formula 2rsin(a/x) or plain speaking 2 times the radius times the sine of the (angle/2 )
or so i am told by the maths wizard living next door.
Isn't this what we all said earlier on in the thread:)Well some of us

Last edited by a moderator:
oh i listen you said you may have to pay more and the end result will look good.

i would prefer to do it myself and the end result would look good

I like your thinking Dog

A bit of pride wouldnt take long about the same time as the local sheet metal shop. It could be done on site. i was taught how to do it during my apprenticeship as well ast making Fluted reducers,Saddle Sets,45 angles etc on Tray and Trunking. Its good to get the grey matter and actually saves money on the baught bends. All you need is the lenghts of trunking.

hi scotspark when i done my time we made all our bends , sets and flages
scot is langside college still there?

Dont know about Langside I swearved my time with BK in Renfrew and went to Reid Kerr

TE Chomper i have never seen the book just shown at college and practice on site. with trunking the bigger the easier i find biggest i have done is 12"x12" square,pencil and Jigsaw and away i went.

Last edited:
pop rivets?it depends on which rivet you use/size of hole drilled ect.ect.and what tool you use.When installed correctly you can get one hell of a fixing

yourse benji

POP RIVETS ! generally these are considered to not provide a good enough earth connection, aren't they?

If its trunking and you are making a bend normally there is a section of trunking Uncut therfore providing a continuous link through the bend. It when its jointed you have to be carefull and i would use the small Earth tags.

It's worth mentioning though just to clarify as some people on here may just assume that pop rivets are ok to use in place of screws/ nuts+bolts. I'm fairly sure that they shouldn't be relied upon for earthing purposes as they cannot be tightened and some alloys are not very good conductors.

If you are hanging the tray vertically it can be rolled to almost any radius at most sheet metal shops very cheaply as it only takes a few minutes to roll each length. Trunking is more difficult, Many cuts through the sides (possibly even every few inches) to allow the trunking to be formed into a radius, and get the cover rolled at a metal shop to the required radius.
Finished appearance is almost a perfect circle as the cover is the most noticeable part.

Being able to work with stock materials is a skill in its own right and can get you out of many tight spots. Its well worth the time to practice and get to know where and how to cut to get the desired angles. The day you dont have a preformed angle to hand will be the day you wished you could whip out a hacksaw with confidence and cut away.........

as to rivets, material selection is critical, remember "easy fit" rivets are more likely to be "easy fail" !!!

Swifts make an adjustable bend for their cable trays.
Catalogue says 30 to 90 degrees but with a small mod they can be opened almost straight !!
Part numbers are FAB (Flat Adjustable bend?)
A lot quicker and neater too.

Reply to trunking and tray in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net