Discuss Trying for my 2391 second time around!:-( how to spend on test equipment the first in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

smthdeedog48

Hi Everyone all the best for this Electrical year,my question going for my 2391 second time around fingers cross and a whole lot of revising lol, would like to get me my test equipment for the first time and wondered how much money to spend on test equipment. my two choices are MFT1730 £832.00,or Fluke1652B £601 vat incl? Please would like to know from some who has been in my shoes don't want to go out and waste all that money if not needed! Thanks Guys all the best for the new year

Re: Trying for my 2391 second time around!:-( how to spend on test equipment the fir

You may also want to consider the Di-Log 9083P (around the £400 + the dreaded). Feedback on the new meggers has been at best mixed from what I've read (I have an older 1553 model). Best of luck with the revision and resit.

Re: Trying for my 2391 second time around!:-( how to spend on test equipment the fir

I have a fluke mulit test meter that i purced 2nd had of e bay. dose me well had for 2 years know calibrate it twice ok with out any probles works and dose the job.

megger 1552 for the last 3 years and has been a great tester

Hi Mate, we have a fluke 1652 mft at work that is good, you could probably pick up a bargain one off of ebay 2nd hand, if you do just bear in mind that it will probably cost 60 to 80 quid to have it caliberated if it needs doing,
whatever you decide to buy if your going to use it for the 2391 practical practise with it loads before hand and be sure it functions as it should, the leads are in good condition and batteries are full for when when you do your test.
cheers Chris.

Fluke 1652 for me as well, I didn't get on with a Megger at all

If your looking at spending that much on the Megger why not get the Fluke 1654b kit for £838 and you get a whole load of free stuff (about £350's worth) from Fluke if you buy before the end of the Year

http://instrotech.com/fluke-1654b-411d-p-1914.html

You could sell all the bits and it would cost less than a 1652

Last edited by a moderator:

I recently bought a Fluke 1652C to replace an old 1652. I found that VFM Meters were doing it for £550 including the VAT. The lead zeroing device was missing from mine but they sent one by return. Changing the tips on the new chunky test probes puzzled me for a bit but OK now.

Hi Everyone all the best for this Electrical year,my question going for my 2391 second time around fingers cross and a whole lot of revising lol, would like to get me my test equipment for the first time and wondered how much money to spend on test equipment. my two choices are MFT1730 £832.00,or Fluke1652B £601 vat incl? Please would like to know from some who has been in my shoes don't want to go out and waste all that money if not needed! Thanks Guys all the best for the new year

Any advice on the 2391? im going for it in the new year but reckon im gonna struggle. Im going for the 10 week course and reckon im gonna need to spend alot of time at home working on it!

Any advice on the 2391? im going for it in the new year but reckon im gonna struggle. Im going for the 10 week course and reckon im gonna need to spend alot of time at home working on it!
Get GN3 and read it, when you're done, read it again and again until you know it inside out. Look through the threads on here, there are a good few dedicated to 2391. Turn up to class on time, ignore the little daft lads at the back of the room who just want to mess around and don't be scared to ask questions. Bone up on earth paths so you can draw them in your sleep.

Get GN3 and read it, when you're done, read it again and again until you know it inside out. Look through the threads on here, there are a good few dedicated to 2391. Turn up to class on time, ignore the little daft lads at the back of the room who just want to mess around and don't be scared to ask questions. Bone up on earth paths so you can draw them in your sleep.
nice one. what is GN3 ?

Guidance note 3, sorry for the abbreviation:)

so GN3 is basically the bible for this course and testing and inspecting in general?
Pretty much yeah mate, if you know that inside out you might be ok with the course but be prepared, 2391 is a tough one

Hi mate do as Trev says

the GN3 is due to be amended in line with the BS7671 2011 amendment which comes into force from 1st Jan
think the Guidance notes arent out yet but due to be
as your taking it in the new year suppose there will be some questions around the changes in the amendment
there are a number of threads with useful info
GN3 as trev says back to front then you can recite it also
use some sample papers to give you a idea of questions they likely will ask if not word for word they are similar they just change it around to confuse you and test your knowledge add a few new ones No trick questions its just interpreting C&G speak and using correct terminology
Exam success is very useful for this
learn GS38 for test equipment
memorandum of guidance on elecy at work regs
part 6 and 7 of the regs
basically read everything you can on inspection and testing and practice writing answers out in exact terminlogy
same for when asked to explain a certain test use bullet points with or without diagrams and also with calcs for each step of the ring final circuit conductors

good luck mate do all you can to ensure you give yourself the best chance if you have had a attempt now you know whats involved GOOD LUCK

2391 is a very domestically biased course I found,in fact I've never used it in an industrial environment,although thats more an issue with the industry rather than the course itself.

It's a very interesting course and well worth doing but as trev said,sit at the front of the class,take notes on everything and be the "swot" for a change.

Don't be afraid to ask questions either,but think a bit first before you speak as time can be at a bit of a premium in these situations and there's a LOT to get through.

The practical is pips,make a note of each of the 15 faults you get in the install and learn them parrot fashion as some are a bit obscure,also remember terminology like "low resistance" and "high resistance" in the circuit breaker faultfinding bit where they simulate the blown aerial booster etc,simple enough stuff but again make a note of them all.

Do your homework,do your revision,learn your terminology and you'll be fine.

Good luck with it all mate.

Have you found somewhere that is doing 2391-10?
Remember, if you do fail this time, you will have a very limited time to re-take it, as it is finishing as an exam next year.

I think it is a bad move taking a 2391-10 course now, the new courses of 2394 and 2395 are starting in January, so these are the ones you should go for, as, singly, they will be easier than doing 2391-10, and if you do fail one of the modules, you have no time limit on re-taking the module.
For domestic installation and test you need no more than 2394. 2395 is for Periodic/Electrical Installation I+T, so not done or needed by the vast majority of electricians, but available for you if you feel you need it at a later date.

If you are sure you'll pass 2391-10, then go for it, but ask first when the exam is, and check if you will have time to re-take it, as there are no published exam dates after July 2012, though I suspect there will be 2 more after this date, probably October and December.

As for testers, what have you got now?
Get the same, then it is an easy move. There are loads available, i sold a Metrel, with 4 months calibration for £100 last month.

Alan.

thanks for your input fellas. I havent actually booked the 2391 so will wait for the new one ! thanks.

Reply to Trying for my 2391 second time around!:-( how to spend on test equipment the first in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net