Discuss tv booster off lighting??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benjamiin

My cousin has just bought a brand new house, the electrical contractor has kindly wired all tv cables back up to the attic ready for a booster, but no socket has been installed, with it being a new house I cant spur off a socket because of mess, and there's no chance ill fish down a partition because of noggins/pattresses.
So im wondering if anyone knows roughlyhow much load a tv amplifier pulls (i cant find this info anywhere) therefore could i take off the lighting circuit?

Hi Ben,

The tv amp will only require minimal current, me advice would be to install a 5amp round pin plug and socket arrangement. Cut the 13a plug off of the booster and your sorted!! Good luck!

How many rooms are fed from the loft,may not always need an amp if the signal is good enough,if a circuit and anything being supplied from it was to be properly labelled then would the regs be met,that is the question.

tv amps take only a few watts do as the other posters said providing your a qualfied sparky
the biggest prob is the outgoing coaxis to each plate& and the correct ariel pointing in the right way
you need a tv ariel engineer to sort that

No aerial has been installed, but my cousin has an aerial man sorted so just needs a power supply, thanks for all the help, sorry I cant thank or like your comments, the mobile app wont let me do it!

You can get masthead amplifiers that receive their power via the aerial cable. They have a transformer/Power Supply that is say in the lounge that is connected to the aerial feed from the loft. Then the aerial comes out of the PSU to the TV in that room etc. The Masthead amp is fitted in the loft to all the cables feeding the other rooms. No need for a 'booster' and any wiring to lights.
Have a google search for Masthead amps. Very easy to set up and no worries about connecting to lights and testing etc.

oh just put a spur in for the ariel guy mate you can take it off the lights, just avoird a bathroom light may have loads of cable in there allredy

tv amps take only a few watts do as the other posters said providing your a qualfied sparky
the biggest prob is the outgoing coaxis to each plate& and the correct ariel pointing in the right way
you need a tv ariel engineer to sort that

Hmm, yes in a way, (IE) if you have no brain, I have never called an ariel guy in to install an ariel (if thats how you spell it), EVEN A CHIMP COULD DO THIS BASIC TASK imo ayjay, but I suppose some new posters here are chimps to be fair.

Mdj, are you lonely by any chance? Chill out mate, no one likes a spoil sport, and you do spell ariel like that, if youre talking about the little mermaid!!!! Now who's the monkey who can't complete basic tasks?

Mdj, are you lonely by any chance? Chill out mate, no one likes a spoil sport, and you do spell ariel like that, if youre talking about the little mermaid!!!! Now who's the monkey who can't complete basic tasks?

No mate, he's not lonely as he's got me and every other seasoned sparks on here also taking the pith out of you lot. Oh, and I'm just as equally sure he can spell aerial. (Oh, BTW - Ariel is an animal, or a Shakespearean character. Not a mermaid.)

If it's a brand new house there should be a socket in the loft as per the OSG. If there isn't one I'd get the electrical contractor back to put one in - what's the point of taking all the aerial cables back to a central point if you can't plug them into a booster?

Hmm, yes in a way, (IE) if you have no brain, I have never called an ariel guy in to install an ariel (if thats how you spell it), EVEN A CHIMP COULD DO THIS BASIC TASK imo ayjay, but I suppose some new posters here are chimps to be fair.
A decent aerial installer rarely uses amplifiers, understands his subject and is properly insured (my electrical insurance is considerably more expensive than if I only did electrical work). Seem to recall a thread or two regarding plumbers / kitchen fitters etc doing electrical work, surely this is the same scenario!
Yes, I do get quite a few calls to rectify aerial problems caused by poor installations by chimps!

you'll never get me climbing on a bloody roof to fix an aerial. look what happenedc to rod hull!. every man to his own, i say.

@rocking it, why take the pith out of people seeking advice? If I was a diy'er id be a sitting duck, big wow youre a seasoned spark, how did you get there?
My bet is you asked questions and listened to good advice, so now you're in the position of knowing more, share your knowledge, not use it to seperate you seasoned lot from us seeking advice!
Im not after an aargument , just hope you can see where I'm coming from .

write out 1000 times. "aerial is spelt aerial". or if you're american, antenna.

aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial aerial

Okay I have ran out of patience with this now haha

Reply to tv booster off lighting??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net