Discuss TVs keep powering off but only in one room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Our TV kept powering off, so with it being 13 years old, we bought a new one.

But the new TV does the same thing.

So I tried plugging both the old and new TVs into sockets in other rooms (problem is in the living room only) such as a bedroom and hallway and both TVs work fine in these rooms.

In the living room, where the problem is, everything else such as DVD players, Nintendo Switch and Christmas lights dont suffer from the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it's just the TVs that keep powering off and why it's just in one room?

Our TV kept powering off, so with it being 13 years old, we bought a new one.

But the new TV does the same thing.

So I tried plugging both the old and new TVs into sockets in other rooms (problem is in the living room only) such as a bedroom and hallway and both TVs work fine in these rooms.

In the living room, where the problem is, everything else such as DVD players, Nintendo Switch and Christmas lights dont suffer from the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it's just the TVs that keep powering off and why it's just in one room?
Your TV aint plugged into an off peak outlet by any chance is it??

Is it only the one specific socket in the living room? Is there an extension lead involved?

It could be a number of things but If everything else seems unaffected... it MAY be a slight loose connection where the tv just shuts down, whereas other electronics might be “storing” the power in capacitors where a momentary power loss doesn’t affect them.

Is it only the one specific socket in the living room? Is there an extension lead involved?

It could be a number of things but If everything else seems unaffected... it MAY be a slight loose connection where the tv just shuts down, whereas other electronics might be “storing” the power in capacitors where a momentary power loss doesn’t affect them.
3 sockets in the living room. Tried withand without extension leads and still the same problem.

Still think it’s a loose connection somewhere causing a momentary loss of power, and as it’s all sockets, then the fault could be at your consumer unit fuseboard.

there are a few forum members cover the Glasgow area, might help you out with a visit for a dozen beers and a box of quality street.

Are the tv's switching completely off or do they go to standby?
If they are going to standby then try covering the receiver part on the tv to rule out stray IR signals.If they are switching off completely then it sounds like a bad connection in your wiring somewhere.

Are the tv's switching completely off or do they go to standby?
If they are going to standby then try covering the receiver part on the tv to rule out stray IR signals.If they are switching off completely then it sounds like a bad connection in your wiring somewhere.
Good point. The TVs don't actually power off, they go to standby. I think you're onto something with the stray IR signal as the LED light on the old TV goes to solid green when my son shoves his hand.over it.

aha... that makes a difference. they are not "powering off", simply going into standby. Any mention of loose connections should be ignored.

Stray IR or someone being playful with a hidden remote control.

aha... that makes a difference. they are not "powering off", simply going into standby. Any mention of loose connections should be ignored.

Stray IR or someone being playful with a hidden remote control.
The old TV is working fine now as soon as I took the batteries out of the fire stick remote.

Will test the new TV later to confirm. I actually called the company that I bought the new TV from this morning and they reckoned that it was a fault with the new TV, so I agreed to returning it and them sending me an alternative tomorrow (a more expensive set that my wife and kids prefer - Samsung QE49Q80T). Some story! Guess I part company with the Fire Stick now.

The old TV is working fine now as soon as I took the batteries out of the fire stick remote.

Will test the new TV later to confirm. I actually called the company that I bought the new TV from this morning and they reckoned that it was a fault with the new TV, so I agreed to returning it and them sending me an alternative tomorrow (a more expensive set that my wife and kids prefer - Samsung QE49Q80T). Some story! Guess I part company with the Fire Stick now.

If you have internet built into the new TV or you have SKY you won't need the firestick anyway.

Reply to TVs keep powering off but only in one room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net