Discuss Tweet for Heat Sucess in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It is great to be able to bring good news to the forum.

Press release from DECC doubling RHPP until start of domestic RHI. It will be deducted from RHI payments, but this was always the case.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/more-money-for-renewable-heating-kit

Press release as follows:
DECC takes on board STA’s suggestion to double Renewable Heat Premium Payments
The STA welcomes DECC’s announcement today that grants available to households installing renewable heat technologies, including solar heating systems, are to double . The grant for solar heating rises to £600 subject to a requirement that the household undertakes a Green Deal energy efficiency assessment.

Stuart Elmes, Chair of the STA’s Solar Thermal Working Group, said:

“This is fantastic news for solar heating. The industry can really get behind the improved voucher levels and vigorously drive towards a spring 2014 launch of the domestic RHI with renewed enthusiasm.

“This announcement is, at last, a tangible demonstration of Government’s oft-proclaimed commitment to domestic renewable heat technologies. Many within industry had wavered in their belief that they would ever see a domestic RHI! We now need to get the good news out there and let householders know that solar heating is more affordable.”

As well as coordinating a letter to DECC with several other trade associations requesting improved grant levels, the STA also conducted its first direct social media campaign last month with the hash tag #tweetforheat. Industry and advocates used the hash tag on Twitter to urge Energy Minister Greg Barker to respond to a blog on the delays to the RHI written by Stuart Elmes.

STA CEO Paul Barwell said:

“It’s great to see that Government has reacted so positively to our suggestions on how to speed up development of the renewable heating sector. The STA led the industry campaign urging Government to consider this proposal and is delighted to see that Ministers have listened to our calls.”

“However, there’s still work to be done. We will continue to make the case for our industry, in particular over the capped tariff for solar heating. It is very important that this summer’s announcement of domestic RHI tariffs should be comprehensive in scope and also specify the qualification criteria and deeming method.”

A big up to Stuart Elmes of Viridian Solar, Chair of the STA Solar Thermal Working Group for all his hard work, including that ongoing to make the RHI work for ST when finally implemented.

If you want to read more from Stuart, visit his blog:
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.solarblogger.net/2013/04/you-just-couldnt-make-this-up.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

This is no big deal. If it was PV they would have to achieve an EPC of level D. What ever we may think about the Green Deal and it's current shortcomings, it is here to stay. There is currently no requirement for the householder to undertake any Green Deal measures or use a Green Deal provider etc.

This is no big deal. If it was PV they would have to achieve an EPC of level D. What ever we may think about the Green Deal and it's current shortcomings, it is here to stay. There is currently no requirement for the householder to undertake any Green Deal measures or use a Green Deal provider etc.
yeah, but the green deal assessor will likely be tied in with someone else pushing those technologies.

It wouldn't surprise me. It may be that a house needs to meet the GD green ticks instead of level D EPC. Most of these a property will need to meet level D. What it may mean is that some properties that struggle to make level D could qualify for FITs. This is something that was put out for consultation for the RHI.

Last edited:
Anything that helps rural properties have equal access to Fit is welcome/ It's worth £150 extra to get access to Fit @ the best rate. It sounded to me as if the new payment was only for new customers, can't see the ones who have been waiting for the last 18 months being very happy but at least it's a move forward.

Someone who has already received RHPP will be in exactly the same position as someone who receives the new enhanced rate. The amount received in RHPP will be deducted from future RHI payments. Both will end up with the same amount but split differently between RHPP and RHI.

The issue is going to be dealing with the backlog of completed installations that already qualify. This again was discussed as part of the RHI consultation and could be part of the reason for the delay. Gemserve (or which ever agency end up with it) will have their work cut out to deal with this.

There have already been around 19,000 GD assessments to date with 9500 in April. Most will have been by landlords of all types. Many will have been done to qualify for ECO especially by housing associations. I would think DECC are reasonably happy with this as part of their so called soft start. There would have to be one hell of a lot of assessments for renewable heat to make much of an impact on the figures. If there was, I for one would be happy as it would mean ST and other renewable heat technologies had come out of the hibernation caused by the lack of a meaningful incentive programme.

It wouldn't surprise me. It may be that a house needs to meet the GD green ticks instead of level D EPC. Most of these a property will need to meet level D. What it may mean is that some properties that struggle to make level D could qualify for FITs. This is something that was put out for consultation for the RHI.
unfortunately one of the common green tick items seems to be underfloor insulation on houses with ventilated floor cavities, which is a right git of a job to install unless there's at least a half cellar, usually you're on your back crawling along in a foot of space pulling the insulation in on top of you.

think I'd prefer to be a chimney sweep than that tbh

Knowing what is involved in underfloor insulation (having now done half our house when installing UFH), I am surprised that a GD assessor would think this will meet the so called golden rule. They would have to prove it did. This stinks of the very problems highlighted with GD and the stitch up with GD providers. Goes back to my point about using an independent GD assessor. Problem is, how is a householder to know? Sadly I feel it will take time for the disreputable side of GD to be exposed.

Reply to Tweet for Heat Sucess in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net