Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Two Lights One Switch Trips Or Blows Every Time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. A-H

A-H Guest

Hi All!

I'm currently trying to add some lights into my garage. I brought a pair of LED fluorescent style lights but am having trouble with them.

I've managed to get them to light up but every single time I switch the light switch it either blows a fuse or trips the breaker on the board.

I have wired as follows (I'll also add a wiring diagram to how I've wired it).

45A Switched Isolator
    ⬇️
    13A Swithed Fuses Spur
    ⬇️
    Two Way Light Switch (Only using One Way)
    ⬇️
    Light One
    ⬇️
    Light Two

The switch common is the live from the spur and the other side of the switch labelled one way is the live from the light.

I can figure out why I can't get this to turn on and off without blowing a fuse or tripping the breaker. All help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_4997.JPG

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Have you taken the switched live into the first fitting? your diagram is a bit, shall we say "not very good" What size fuse do you have in the 13 amp spur unit?

3. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

What are your test results of the circuit?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. hightower

hightower Guest

Can't see any issue with your drawing, so it either must not be wired as you've drawn or is damaged somewhere along the way. I'd begin by double checking every connection as it'll likely be something silly like a line in the neutral or something.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. A-H

A-H Guest

Sorry for the drawing. Both lights have Live, Neutral and Earth, light one has one of each and light two had the L,N,E from light one and also L,N,E from the switch.

6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    What size is the fuse in the spur, I ask because led lights do have an inrush current to light them.

7. A-H

A-H Guest

Currently 13A

8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    OK thanks

9. Leader

Leader Electrician's Arms

Have you double checked all connections to make sure they are correct and tight?

10. A-H

A-H Guest

I wired this yesterday without the 13A switched fused spur straight into the 45A isolator and it worked and the lights turned on straight away, the then pressed the light switch and it tripped the RCD in the house. I added the 13A Fused spur today wired it all it, before I could even turn on the light switch it had blow then 45A fuse which is very old and rewireable so may not have been a 45A filament. It also blew the 13A in the house which is just before a wall socket. As previous owners wired it into the downstairs socket power. Didn't trip the RCD this time. I have photos of all connections and from what I can see they're terminated correctly.

LIGHT 2
    IMG_4998.JPG

LIGHT 1
    IMG_4999.JPG

SWITCH
    IMG_5001.JPG

SPUR WITHOUT WIRING FROM ISOLATOR. WIRING FROM ISOLATOR IS IN THE REMAINING TERMINALS.
    IMG_5003.JPG

11. A-H

A-H Guest

Also I had wired a double socket in the garage the day before in the same isolator so I am confident that it's wired correctly as it works fine.

12. Paignton pete

Paignton pete Regular EF Member

Go back to basics and start your testing from scratch. Continuity and insulation resistance testing will identify issue immediately.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    This post should be joined in with the the post about why do people who know SFA about electrics do the work in the first place.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Billsays

Billsays Regular EF Member

Try disconnecting one of the lights at a time and see if it trips...... to prove it isn't a faulty fitting,

• Like Like x 1
  15. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum ............ obviously something is amiss....................... I guess I'm wasting my time asking this but do you have any test kit?

• Agree Agree x 1