Discuss Two single gang sockets mounted on the same back box. Is this common practice and why? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to the forum, Just wondering if someone could please take a look at the pic attached (hopefully) and tell me in what circumstances it is best practice to wire two 1-gang sockets side by side like this with a set of T&E going to each.

I'm not an electrician but was in the process of wiring in new socket faceplates around the house we are moving in to and came across this.

Sorry for wasting anybody's time if this is a stupid question but it just seems like a strange way to do it. Thanks, william.

20180806_210341.jpg

I suspect the sockets are not original and there was at least one fuse connection unit. Dual boxes are handy for mounting one gang accessories next to each other, straight.
I quite like using the 2+1 backboxes and 2+2 when doing kitchens or lounge behind tv etc... ensures nice equally level finish and saves a little bit of time.

The two single sockets are different.
One has ‘ON’ on the switch, the other a block of solid red colour. Also there is a disused cables showing in the top left corner of the right hand socket.
Looks like, as has already been suggested, that an FCU has been removed and replaced with a single socket.

Which room is this in? As said agree R.H.S looks like one was a switched fused spur and load cable cut off as not needed. The spur then changed to a single socket. Could change box and faceplate to double socket but you will have a bit of making good to do.

I like those double back boxes!
I got a lot of help on here with my wall mounted TV project. Socket on one side, brush-plate on the other side for media cables etc.
Also have one for my electric shower. Hall-side has DP switch to the left, and a blanking plate to the right, so plenty of room for the 10mm connections in the box behind.

Until someone changes their mind and wants chrome plates!

I do take the precaution of warning the customer in advance that if they agree to the installation of these boxes then they are limited to white accessories only!

Reply to Two single gang sockets mounted on the same back box. Is this common practice and why? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net