Discuss UKPN and Tri-rated cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
A Job that I've took over near to completion...between the 400A isolator and Lucy board it has Tri-rated cables installed. UKPN have refused to connect isolator to head due to it being Tri-rated. I wasn't on site today and wasn't made aware the connection was being made today but the chap from UKPN has said its needs replacing on the fact it's Tri-rated. Could any of you think of reasons why it wouldn't be acceptable?

Last edited:
Usually you abide to their rules,don't think I've seen tri rate cables connected to main head before,they usually stipulate solid cores.Interesting though,obviously for ease of connection to your equipment it's ideal,but looks a no no for network

Usually you abide to their rules,don't think I've seen tri rate cables connected to main head before,they usually stipulate solid cores.Interesting though,obviously for ease of connection to your equipment it's ideal,but looks a no no for network

The connection to the head from isolator is solid core but between isolator and Lucy board is Tri rated.

Done tri-rated loads of times and never once been refused once, can't see any reason why they don't want it even from the head to main switch... I too would be interested to see what they say are the reasons.

It is in trunking, isn't it?

The excuse I had from them was that connection between the cable and the lug had not been "approved" whatever that means so it may overheat.

Hi Leesparkykent

just finished 4 jobs with Uk power networks each one has been using tri/Bi rated cable suitable size for each head from 100-400Amp heads no problem at all, all jobs we have isolator feeding a Ryefield panel & then switch fuse for each flat & each a direct connection to our switch.
last one we installed our box trunk at 1200mm to underside from finished floor as per there plan, guys installed head at about 600mm to the top & when siemens came in he would not connect the tri rated as they were singles & we had not installed in trunking.
no issue we were on site just installed a bit more trunk for them to run in & he was happy as a pig in sh..,
we went to the drawing supplied by UKPN but they still installed Head lower.
another good thing speaking with Siemens engineer if we install a isolator or switch fuse they will connect up whenever we want & should we not fit an isolator or switch fuse they want 100% complete before they will energize the system.
for us great news if we can get customer meter fitted in quick time we can energize system.

@marc8... yes clearly see why using single insulated tri without mechanical protection would be pulled and seen it done before, no need for the DNO to knock it when the regs don't allow it either. :)

@marc8... yes clearly see why using single insulated tri without mechanical protection would be pulled and seen it done before, no need for the DNO to knock it when the regs don't allow it either. :)

well if they had gone to their own drawing there would have been no need for the extra trunking as it was already installed & slotted for them at the height on the drawing they supplied.

A Job that I've took over near to completion...between the 400A isolator and Lucy board it has Tri-rated cables installed. UKPN have refused to connect isolator to head due to it being Tri-rated. I wasn't on site today and wasn't made aware the connection was being made today but the chap from UKPN has said its needs replacing on the fact it's Tri-rated. Could any of you think of reasons why it wouldn't be acceptable?

Hi

Probably confusion due to the tri not being an isulated and sheathed cable. Maybe they were unhappy with with the containment of the tri rated cable, i.e the abitity to create the correct IP rating, so if meeting the correct IP rating is an issue, an insulated and sheathed cable will be the solution.

Cheers

Hi

Probably confusion due to the tri not being an isulated and sheathed cable. Maybe they were unhappy with with the containment of the tri rated cable, i.e the abitity to create the correct IP rating, so if meeting the correct IP rating is an issue, an insulated and sheathed cable will be the solution.

Cheers

No the trunking is fine..complies to IP4X and consequently IPXXD.

All been lugged of correctly...Will post my findings tomorrow when I speak to UKPN.
good luck, If it's been anything like working with BG on meter hooking up should be interesting as each time we have done an HMO they have been can't connect to that & we have to get their supervisor on phone then a manager to look at documentation before connection.

I've just done a sub board connection in tri from a local incoming switch. 150mm done in 4''trunking....I'd like to see anyone do that in solids...not a chance.

Reply to UKPN and Tri-rated cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net