Discuss Unable to remove front cover in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drilled holes in the front cover Or run cables through a gap in the front cover where a blank should be ?

Either way would be rough as a Badgers if you ask me , but even with cables being run through the lid you surely can still unscrew it and wiggle it forward a bit to see inside the unit ?

Pics!

This is gonna be a laugh.

(crop photos to make them smaller so the forum accepts the file size)
This consumer unit is in a camper van customer wanted an Edict doing for his own piece of mond

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_110318~3.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230506_110224~2.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 70
Drilled holes in the front cover Or run cables through a gap in the front cover where a blank should be ?

Either way would be rough as a Badgers if you ask me , but even with cables being run through the lid you surely can still unscrew it and wiggle it forward a bit to see inside the unit ?
Drilled holes through front cover.

I don't really understand any of that, not that familiar with the Wylex unit but to get the cabling in there they'd have had the cover off, it has screws top left and bottom right. But the enclosure itself looks empty, there is no main switch or MCB's?

Also looks like a distinct lack of fixing screws on everything.

I don't really understand any of that, not that familiar with the Wylex unit but to get the cabling in there they'd have had the cover off, it has screws top left and bottom right. But the enclosure itself looks empty, there is no main switch or MCB's?

Also looks like a distinct lack of fixing screws on everything.
The consumer unit is on a campervan, and there is a 30ma RCD and two mcbs inside. The owner had just bought the van and wanted a safety check to ensure all was ok. I've never seen the likes before.

Looks like a flexible conduit out the top of the cover, and the side?

Can’t remember the section on the EICR, but something worded like damage to consumer unit affecting safety?
Would be at least a C3.

Recommend having it changed, because it’s going to be a hassle in the future every time it needs worked on.

I’d be inclined to take a hacksaw and cut slots the cover so it can be removed without moving the conduit. Completely wrecks the IP though

Has this been a DIY camper conversion?
I’d be worried about everything else, inc. gas, if this is an example of work.

Looks like a flexible conduit out the top of the cover, and the side?

Can’t remember the section on the EICR, but something worded like damage to consumer unit affecting safety?
Would be at least a C3.

Recommend having it changed, because it’s going to be a hassle in the future every time it needs worked on.

I’d be inclined to take a hacksaw and cut slots the cover so it can be removed without moving the conduit. Completely wrecks the IP though

Has this been a DIY camper conversion?
I’d be worried about everything else, inc. gas, if this is an example of work.
Exactly my thoughts, I've advised the customer to have the consumer unit replaced, definitely DIY job. You see some things lol. Thanks for input, all the best.

Reply to Unable to remove front cover in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net