Discuss underfloor heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spurs1980

Evening guys
Got a job tomorrow to sort an electric underfloor heating apparently the under floor heating starts to get warm then trips the rcd
The builder disconnected the thermostat an tried again the floor got warm then tripped the rcd again
Any pointers would be apreciated
Thanks

Fist disconnect element, continuity test l-n should get resistance depending on size of Matt and wattage say 4m square floor 200w per m = 800w so should be around 65 ohm. Then IR test element L + N strapped together to earth. Should be greater than 2 mega ohm sounds like faulty element and the tiles are being ripped up!

Ok chaps
Checked mate says on lead should be 96 ohms I got 97 insulation resistance came out at 17 mega ohms
Just wired back in to see it it will trip while I'm here
Any clues
Thanks

IR test the circuit back to the CU. it could be a fault that is only tripping the RCD when a laod is applied.

Reply to underfloor heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Got to look at a job where the builder has cut through the underfloor heating mat and it’s gone right through the heated cable. Not...
Replies
Views
m having a bit of an issue that is proving difficult to resolve. For 2 years I have been having no problems with my setup. I have a 3 zone house...
Replies
Views
I'm writing this mainly hoping something occurs to me while writing it! I got called to an occasionally tripping RCD. It's a Hager double height...
Replies
Views
Conversation developed with a middle aged lady who has recently lost her husband. Note to self, stop walking dog around the graveyard Anyway...
Replies
Views
I'm not an electrician. I clean cookers and today arrived to a rangemaster range cooker. Got started, and as part of my routine, I turn on ovens...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock