Currently reading:
Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians"

Discuss Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

How can we put an end to this drivel? Why is there people out there unqualified and inexperienced bluffing their way into work. Taking work from fully qualified time served lads?Theres a couple in my area. Driving round in vans with schemes tatooed all over them. They look the biz - the outfit. But I know they are not electricians. They are chancers bluffing their way through. The 17th Edition minimum requirement to have a schemes backing...its a farce. The problem I have is the customers can't differenciate from a fully qualified. 17th edition, 2391, tech cert nvq3 electrician from a 17th edition short course idiot! It boils my blood

I found a 6mm cooker cable fed from the CU into a jb. From the jb two 2.5mm flex one down to the kitchen sockets and the other feeding the boiler. From the first socket in the kitchen. It spured both ways with no FCU insight. Apparently they where a reputable kitchen fitting company and the electrician knew what he was talking about. No doubt a Electrical Trainee

Don't really think a reason why someone does not have the experience is because they don't have the money, so feel sorry for us.
If someone needs heart surgury and they could only afford a dentist to do the job it would be in the papers.
The broad statement of DI's is a bit missleading as there are many very good long term sparkies out there that for whatever reason are only registered for that. Its as been said, the 5week training brigade making the whole situation worse in de-valuing the hard work and knowledge gained from years at college having work taken away from them in a very hard world ATM by someone who does not know one end of a diode from another. surely that is the whole reason of the thread.

Making off Pryo!!

Stand by a bloody great dist board,in a windy corridor making sub main pyro ends off when its below freezing and your feet have taken root to the concrete floor and you have forgotten your hands used to have fingers on the ends of them, and you may wish that it "was" out of date
icon7.png

Last edited:
You're not looking at the fact that many highly experienced tradesmen use the 5 week courses as a way into the trade....

Seriously, how much is an experienced plumber or builder going to learn about domestic from a 3 year apprenticeship? Not much other than the theory and classroom stuff, which is exactly what is taught on the 5 week courses.

This exact sort of argument happens in the aviation game (my line of work). 50% of commercial pilots are ex-RAF, or have started flying boxes in single engine light aircraft and made their way up. 50% have done 18 months at a training scheme and gone straight on to the flight deck of an Airbus or Boeing. Doesn't make them bad pilots!

I really think we need to find a way of distinguishing between the 5 week wonder people...

I'm new to the electrics game, but I can't do a 3 year apprenticeship. I can't afford to, I have a mortgage and bills to pay.

I'm doing a short course

plan to do everything to the very best of my ability and only when I feel confident to do it..

but there are also a hell of a lot of us who just want to do domestic work and earn an honest living.

those are standard quotes from di's Electrical Trainee.you cant just do a short course and be a spark,and i keep reading the same stuff over again,why do people think domestics are any easier or pose less risk of electric shock than commercial or industrial,electrcity is the same what ever industry,the training in it should be the same,the domestic game thanks to part p has opened the door to half baked sparks via a quick course,these half baked sparks would never get a start in the commercial or industrial game nor should they be able to infest the domestic game ahead of fully qualified sparks doing domestic work.if you want to be a spark do it right you dont have to be 16 and jib, do the years at college do the night school thing,it takes a while,plenty with wifes/kids/mortgages have done it

What's the difference between doing one night a week at college and doing it all crammed into one block?!

I thought the argument was about practical experience...

because it takes years not weeks,your quote about how long will it take a builder to learn domestic doesnt cut it,isnt building a house the same as building a shop.with regards practical a neat chase or well drilled hole does not make a safe installation.

There is a very big difference between domestic work and commercial/industrial as we all know.

Yes, electricity is always dangerous, regardless of where the installation is, but simple domestic installations need a lot less knowledge than industrial. Less knowledge, less to learn, shorter course...

The last two apprentices i've had, never learnt much at college, only some of the theory. Everything they use and know i taught them during the three years while at college. they were like mini-me only not as good looking. I know i could trust them to do any job and i would never need to check it. Now that is not because of the bit of paper they hold.
C&G has gone down the pan now. A new cert from them is like a happy shopper meat pie, it won't taste like it says on the box.
I rate sparks by who they have worked for and for how long. not by the bits of paper anymore.

Well MICC will certainly show you the men from the boy's...lol But in reality, it's not a difficult cable to work with at all. You obviously have to know how to make the ends off properly, and know how to dress the cable, along with it's installation restrictions. (which isn't many) But once you have that under your belt, your away... lol!!

The difficulty if any is when installing the bigger MICC cables, as once you get to 16mm and above, dressing can be a bitch without the proper tools like the wheeled cable straighteners and the bending tools...

OK maybe a little simplistic, as you would need a bit of experience in working with the stuff, to be proficient, but it's certainly not rocket science. In my opinion, one of the best cable types ever to be invented, and looks the dogs whatsits when professionally installed....

they were like mini-me only not as good looking.

Now that is what I call a spark who speaks with confidence in his ability and his image
icon14.png

Do domestic installers have this confidence ?
If you do and you you wanna be a spark,just post up your image and everyone can vote you in or out lol
icon7.png

No offence meant to my fellow uglies
icon11.png

There is a very big difference between domestic work and commercial/industrial as we all know.

Yes, electricity is always dangerous, regardless of where the installation is, but simple domestic installations need a lot less knowledge than industrial. Less knowledge, less to learn, shorter course...

And the very reason there shouldn't be this ''Domestic Installer'' designation, your either an electrician or your NOT!! Folk with a little knowledge are more dangerous than those with none. .....But often think they know More than they actually do!!!

Reply to Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock