Discuss Unskilled management v skilled knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I often deal with unskilled managers

When I first started to be involved in production meetings, I remember people flinching at how blunt I was. The production manager didn't flinch, he just said alright then, you don't get to criticise unless you have a better idea.

He now often gets me to sit in on meetings because he reckons I'm not a yes man and will stop him from getting carried away. Apparently I'm good at bringing him back down to Earth.

It probably also helps that he knows that I am a miser at heart, so if I want to spend company money, then it must need to be spent.

I often deal with unskilled managers

When I first started to be involved in production meetings, I remember people flinching at how blunt I was. The production manager didn't flinch, he just said alright then, you don't get to criticise unless you have a better idea.

He now often gets me to sit in on meetings because he reckons I'm not a yes man and will stop him from getting carried away. Apparently I'm good at bringing him back down to Earth.

It probably also helps that he knows that I am a miser at heart, so if I want to spend company money, then it must need to be spent.
Yep, someone on a higher pay grade, prepared to listen and surrounding themselves with the right people. Be careful not to work yourself out of a job though ;) My old man was a production engineer. Organised everything so well that he was made redundant.

Yep, someone on a higher pay grade, prepared to listen and surrounding themselves with the right people. Be careful not to work yourself out of a job though ;) My old man was a production engineer. Organised everything so well that he was made redundant.
I did work 150 hrs over the last two weeks, there is little chance of that.

I was feeling a bit burnt out yesterday evening to be honest.

To me, it sounds like the "unskilled manager" is more skilled at managing you than you are at managing him.
Not really, I know what I got myself into.

The unskilled manager is a former toolmaker and he had the same experience when he was on the tools.

It's just part of the job. We're well paid for it.
[automerge]1571599342[/automerge]
Holy shitballs! That’s a months work for me!....slow down man life is short...
The idea is to be able to buy a house without a mortgage in a year or so

Not really, I know what I got myself into.

The unskilled manager is a former toolmaker and he had the same experience when he was on the tools.

It's just part of the job. We're well paid for it.
[automerge]1571599342[/automerge]

The idea is to be able to buy a house without a mortgage in a year or so
Fair play to ya mate......

Management can be a very subtle thing... I was talking to someone the other day who was adamant that she was too senior in her company to be managed. An intriguing thought. She then went on to tell me that the director she reports to just gives her 'objectives'. I tried to explain that he was managing you by those objectives, but she wouldn't accept it...

Reply to Unskilled management v skilled knowledge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net