Discuss Unsure about house wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks Pete, that's what I said?
Your post intamates that a non fused spur can be 1 twin socket or 2 x single sockets, whereas a non fused spur is 1 twin socket or 1 single socket, or a Fused spur from which you can run x number of sockets

not sure of a reg number on that.

526.8 - Cores of sheathed cables from which the sheath has been removed and non-sheathed cables at the termination of conduit, ducting or trunking shall be enclosed as required by 526.5.

@ johnboy4809 It's on the schedule of inspections under 8.11, what did he put on there out of curiosity?

As you've worded the situation I would agree with your concerns, however it sounds very strange that this guy has spurred several sockets from a ring final - are you sure it's not a separate radial?

Leaving a "bare live cable" anywhere is obviously dangerous wherever it's left, gas pipe or otherwise; how have you checked for voltage?

Clearly intermediate switching is a thing hence the availability of intermediate switches - could this guy mean that adding a switch would be difficult in this situation?

Currently i have a radial containing a socket for a washing machin socket for dryer and then four double sockets.

[...]

And finally three way switching by intermediate switch is possible isnt it, he has told me three way is impossible
Firstly, I'm not clear as to whether this is a radial socket circuit or whether it is an unfused spur with multiple outlets from a ring final circuit.

Secondly, in a sense he is correct. Two-way and intermediate switching still only switches in two ways (although from an infinite number of positions). There is no such thing as "three-way switching". It is called two-way and intermediate switching.

Firstly, I'm not clear as to whether this is a radial socket circuit or whether it is an unfused spur with multiple outlets from a ring final circuit.

Secondly, in a sense he is correct. Two-way and intermediate switching still only switches in two ways (although from an infinite number of positions). There is no such thing as "three-way switching". It is called two-way and intermediate switching.
well its not infinite , but you could have bloody lots of intermediates

until we prove infinity exists it is just a finite amount, until then it is just a mathematical tool

thanks guys for your replies, the smoke detector company said they can come and do a formal installation check for £80 and that will inclused inspecting the install to offer recommendations and a quote on remedial works.

Do you own a 1 bedroom flat?

£80 is not enough for a proper inspection of a house IMHO....

An unfused spur should feed 1 single or 1 double socket Appendix 15 (informative) Regulation 433.1.204 page 453 BS7671
The electrician concerned sounds like he's not got a clue, but according to the main section of the regs you can connect what you like to a fused spur so long as what's on the spur is unlikely to cause an overload (and of course the fault disconnection time/zs is alright)

The informative guidance is just the recommended way to apply these. But if you wanted you could spur 10 FCUs running small extractor fans or any other circuit that meets the design principles.

Re unbalance, once I was bored and worked out how unbalanced the load would have to be to overload one 20A leg of the ring, and it turned out there would have to be pretty large loads within a few metres of the DB.

Reply to Unsure about house wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net