Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Unusual location of pull cord shower isolator - code? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. WDMDL

WDMDL Electrician's Arms

I'm doing an EICR at the moment for a family member, so most of the remedials are being done as the defects are discovered.
    As such, it's gone up to 100% sampling because of what's been found.

The bathroom is upstairs, but the pull cord isolator for the shower is mounted on the WALL.... in the cubbyhole under the stairs!

Now I wouldn't put one there, but I can't actually find a reg that it doesn't comply with, other than the general provisions of 514.1.1 and 530.3.

Any thoughts?

Simon.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Pull cord on the wall! Like it!

I guess that needs changing to a switch, as for the location I'm not sure either so hopefully somebody will enlighten both of us!

3. Superspark23

Superspark23 Regular EF Member

As long as its assessible for maintance reasons i can't see any issues, In the past my firm have installed these in airing cubboards just outside the bathroom for various reasons. Or even next to the Fuseboard!

4. WDMDL

WDMDL Electrician's Arms

It's almost as good as the perfectly good loop-in ceiling rose...that was full of individual choc blocks!

Maybe they didn't have a small enough terminal driver for the screws?

Simon.

5. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

If you just change the pull-cord switch to a lockable 50A DP switch or isolator in the cubbyhole please remember as part of complying with 514.9.1 to place a note at the DB detailing the Type, Rating and Position of the switch to inform any spark coming behind you of its location. The switch/isolator needs to be lockable in order to comply with 537.3.1.2

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  6. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

I think you may fall foul of regulation 537.2.1.5 as a remote means of isolation must be either lockable or have a removable handle for the open position.