Discuss USA Ceiling Fan Box is Strange in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dogbob

DIY
Reaction score
New construction in USA. I think that the builder put ceiling fan rated boxes in the ceiling. But when I remove the cover, I see a strange box. Picture attached. It's hard to make out all of the details, because the painter sprayed it.

Have you seen this brand/style box before?

There are two big screw holes near the wire, but they are only 1.5" apart or so. That's not the spread I was expecting and not what my ceiling fan bracket expects.

If this is a ceiling fan box, what are the strong mounting points? Do I need to drill holes or knock out something?

Thank you.

Fan Box.jpg

That's it. Thank you.

I found a catalog page on the web. I'm not sure if this includes a hot link or not:
"MANUFACTURER CATALOG DOCUMENT".

It looks like the fan bracket would screw into the stud behind the box, not the box. That is what was confusing me.

New construction in USA. I think that the builder put ceiling fan rated boxes in the ceiling. But when I remove the cover, I see a strange box. Picture attached. It's hard to make out all of the details, because the painter sprayed it.

Have you seen this brand/style box before?

There are two big screw holes near the wire, but they are only 1.5" apart or so. That's not the spread I was expecting and not what my ceiling fan bracket expects.

If this is a ceiling fan box, what are the strong mounting points? Do I need to drill holes or knock out something?

Thank you.

View attachment 96719
The NEC requires ceiling fan boxes in all bedrooms, living room, and dining room and kitchens. You need to look in your attic and see if you have rails on the box that attach to the ceiling joists. I’ve haven’t seen a box like that but I’m sure it is a ceiling fan box.

The NEC requires ceiling fan boxes in all bedrooms, living room, and dining room and kitchens. You need to look in your attic and see if you have rails on the box that attach to the ceiling joists. I’ve haven’t seen a box like that but I’m sure it is a ceiling fan box.
It would only be required if was prewired for a fan, but a good idea anyway, even if not wired for a fan/light someone will hang one even on a plastic box, bloody tenants hung fans off cut in boxes rated for fixtures 5 pounds max, ticked me off since they had no business messing with the wiring, or any of the building systems.

Reply to USA Ceiling Fan Box is Strange in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net