Discuss Use of insulation tape on exposed copper in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Been reading thread on another forum where someone has discovered some insulation has been melted and burnt off on the rfc by a plumber leaving exposed copper. He has used insulation tape to repair, is asking if this is ok, and has had quite a few replies stating this is a good repair. I was surprised - I know it is called 'insulation' tape but would have thought this would be regarded as an unsatisfactory repair and that the section of cable would need to be replaced.

the answer is no insulation tape can come off over time the only way to repair a damaged cable using that method is by heat shrink and self amalgamating tape or a junction box

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with you and not the plumber - like nickblake said the tape can come off, and while you could do an IR test to check it is offering an appropriate level of electrical insulation you might have a job testing how much mechanical protection it offers.

Hi there Read this thread with interest as I currently work in Canada in the Rail environment and "dead" unused conductors are taped. Normally then left for years. I'm trying to make a procedural change. I'm looking for definative evidence or regulations that show "insulation tape must not be used for more than or that over time the properties breaks down or that the glue fails etc

I took part in an Audit Recently...read that as I was the Auditor for my organisation and I questions the maintainers and Technicians on the use of tape and the fact that some of it was peeling and unwrapping. I asked "What they did about it?" they replied "retape and move on"

I find that a little unacceptable

I've also heard that any extension cord that has been repaired using insulation tape must be replaced after 24hours

I have always considered insulation tape or Friction tape to be used as phase markers only i.e. we rely on the insulation of the conductor but notify the cable as PH1/PH2/PH3

be it Red Yellow Blue, Black Brown Grey, Red White Blue.

Been reading thread on another forum where someone has discovered some insulation has been melted and burnt off on the rfc by a plumber leaving exposed copper. He has used insulation tape to repair, is asking if this is ok, and has had quite a few replies stating this is a good repair. I was surprised - I know it is called 'insulation' tape but would have thought this would be regarded as an unsatisfactory repair and that the section of cable would need to be replaced.

ask your plumber if he would be happy for you to repair one of his central heating pipes with a bit of poxy tape after you'd put as nail thtough it.

I agree !
cut fingers, attaching cables to rods, sticking plans to walls, temporary ID flags for cables, repairing broken tool handles, it's uses are nearly endless.

I use tape for:
Labels to identify conductors and circuits during installation.
To identify conductors if sleeving is not available.
To cover the join between a cable and a crimped lug if coloured heat shrink is not available.
Temporary labels on panel doors.
To join conductors to draw tapes or wires, when drawing in new conductors or cables.
As a filler when repairing or joining cables, then covering the filled section with heat shrink.
To seal off the ends of underground cable joints to prevent the resin running out.
As a plaster.
To tape drawings to walls.
To seal plastic bags containing small parts such as long 3.5mm screws, packs of fuses, crimps, etc.
Temporarily to cover exposed cable ends if the cables could become or are live.
To cover an isolated switch if a lock off kit is not available.
To identify extension leads on sites.
To block off sections of PIRs.
There's probably a hundred other uses that I can't think of right now.
I find it a very useful bit of kit.

Depending on the environment, I have found that over time the glue used in PVC tape either 'sweats' and turns into sticky oily jelly or dries out and loses adhesion. I also suspect that adding on-site insulation to any cable that requires to be insulated will render that cable no longer compliant with the British Standard the cable was manufactured to.

Reply to Use of insulation tape on exposed copper in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net