Discuss Use of Pyro in a boat yard. Existing installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Graysonlad

In a small boat yard, two lighting poles are fed with two core pyro the outer sheath being pvc covered and buried in concrete.
Both poles are connected in parallel with each other. A single metal clad waterproof switch controls both poles. The feed to the 1st pole has gone down but the pyro to the second pole is clear.
My intention was to run a feed, via catenary wire (distance of approx 3 mt) to the first pole and then to use the existing "good" pyro to the 2nd pole.
I am told that the use of pyro and the use of catenary feeds, in a boat yard is in breech of the Regs. Is this correct as I can't find anything to support this opinion?
If it is correct, surely it is something that can't be applied retrospectively to existing installations.
I may be able to bury an SWA cable to the 1st pole but at the moment I can't avoid using the existing buried pyro to the 2nd pole.
Opinions Please.

I would imagine that boat yards would be covered in section 709 of the Regulations. I know that boats and off shore installations are not covered, but if my memory serves me correctly I think the on-shore side of it is covered by the Regulations. There may of course be some special requirements from the governing body in charge of the baot yard, but I would imagine that they will be along the lines of accessories, and that complinace to the BS 7671-2008 is required.

If the boat yard does come under the BS 7671-2008 then 709.521.1.4 (iv) recommends MICC with PVC sheath and (ii) overhead cables can also be utilised.

If your going down the overhead way then 709.521.1.8 outlines the erection methods which is similar to Caravan siters as 6 metre height where vechiles are etc etc.

I hope that his may be of help

Boat yards and marinas are to totally different things, a boat yard is where repairs or motor boats/yachts are built, a marina is where motor boats/yachts are berthed

Thank you for the information. It has clarified the use pyro. I feel that I can now carry out the repairs to the installation without concern.
Some members here on the forum raised the question of height re catenary wires. In the situation I described, the light poles are situated in an area that is protected and high vehicles/objects never enter.

No as a boatyard is a smaller version of a shipyard and the electrics in them do not come under marinas do they?

Can't disagree that a boatyard is not a Marina Ian as you say, I was just asking if it would come under the banner of similar location, but I suppose that may be classed as a wharf, jetty or even an harbour.

I was just working on the asumption that unless there are a specific licensing authority regs governing a boat yard, would adhereance to the Regs in general and section 709 in particular be the way to go?

I would have thought certain elements of section 709 would be relevant (eg not using TNCS, supplies on pontoons etc) but also as mentioned not using catenary wires where boats are carried around on slings - the OSG mentions 5.8m min at road crossings, but if you allow 2m height, plus below deck accommodation and flybridge you're talking about 6m before you've even considered the navigation chair, bilge or distance from the ground.

I would say a marina is the closest thing BS7671 has to offer.

Reply to Use of Pyro in a boat yard. Existing installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net