Search the forum,

Discuss Useless fact of the day post!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

some people can lick there elbowhttp://www.google.co.uk/search?q=licking+elbow+pics&hl=en&rlz=1W1ACAW_enGB312GB312&biw=1140&bih=796&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rZ8hTvOkBoS78gOtpOy1Aw&ved=0CBoQsAQ

A ball of glass will bounce higher than a ball of rubber. A ball of steel will bounce higher than one made of glass.

The phrase "getting plastered" comes from the 18th century. Wine was used as a preservative in plaster, as well as horse hair and manure. At the end of every day the plasterers would drink any wine left over, hence the phrase "getting plastered"

Here is a good bit of pub ammo...Ever wondered by there is a black strip in the middle of a lollipop man / womans err..lollipop? So they can write the registration number of cars that fail to stop using chalk that they should have in their pocket and duly report the rascals to the Police.

Local authority park keepers have the authority and are duty bound to confiscate cigarrettes from children they suspect to be under 16 years of age.

Disagree, dinosaurs laid eggs first. The dinosaurs evolved into the birds (and hence the chicken) we know today.

I know stuff me.

Regards wa
I agree in your disagreeance - whatever laid the first egg which a chicken came out of wouldn't have been a chicken.
If Kamikaze is talking about the first book of the bible then the chicken was 'created' by 'God' which I find hard to believe since the theory of evolution was invented by Charles Darwin who according to Wikipedia was born in 1809 - at least 1809 years since the events in the old testament. Ox and --- (donkey) maybe, but I don't recall the bible ever mentioning the chicken.

all them potatoes running round enjoying themselves.

if you laid all the electricians in the world end to end, they'd still moan about the JIB and NICEIC

What baffles me more than the chicken & egg conundrum is the birds and bees. I mean, there is this enormous size difference. What's going on there then?

Last edited:
Bob's your uncle
The meaning of "Bob's your uncle" was derived back in 1887. The then PM, Robert Cecil appointed Arthur Balfour to the post of Chief Secretary for Ireland. However, Balfour was better known to Cecil as uncle Bob. This enraged the British public who regarded it as a blatant act of nepotism. The term Bob's your uncle, then became a sarcastic phrase used where the outcome of events looked to be preordained by favoritism. As people forgot the scandal the phrases persisted eventually coming to its usage today. :D

The saying of "Bought the farm" has pretty much always meant "to die". It comes from the perceived working class dream of owning land, that aspiration that eventually they'd make good, and buy a farm. However, more often than not, this aspiration remained a dream, and when someone died they were buried in the only plot of land they would ever own. The farm, therefore, refers to their 6ft by 2ft burial patch.

The meaning of "Saved by the bell" was derived back in a time not so long ago when death was a much more common part of life. People were shuffling off this mortal coil left right and centre. And death wasn't as an exact a science as it is now, quite often people got buried who had only put a deposit down on the farm, waking up to find they'd been buried alive. To combat this, any persons suspected of being potentially even a little bit alive had a string attached to their hand when they were buried which ran to a bell in a tree. If they woke up once they'd been buried a quick tug on the string and Bob's your uncle you were "saved by the bell."

The meaning of "Saved by the bell" was derived back in a time not so long ago when death was a much more common part of life. People were shuffling off this mortal coil left right and centre. And death wasn't as an exact a science as it is now, quite often people got buried who had only put a deposit down on the farm, waking up to find they'd been buried alive. To combat this, any persons suspected of being potentially even a little bit alive had a string attached to their hand when they were buried which ran to a bell in a tree. If they woke up once they'd been buried a quick tug on the string and Bob's your uncle you were "saved by the bell."

I believe the being buried alive problem was due to people eating tomatoes off of pewter plates, the combination is poisonous causes people to appear dead. At the time nobody realised the connection and for many years people though tomatoes were poisonous. And wakes are held for the same reason, literally just in case they wake up.

The Rule of thumb
Back in the days when history was happening, when marriage wasn't so much a joining of two like minds for an equal life-long partnership of mutual caring and understanding, and more like buying a sexy pet, men were allowed to hit their wives. Which makes me feel frankly, a bit ill. The term, "rule of thumb" comes from a law which said, a man may beat his wife with a stick as long as it is no thicker than the width of his thumb.

German World War II submarine U-1206 was sunk due to a malfunction of the toilet.

In 1997 a Japanese fishing trawler was rescued in the sea of Japan. They claimed that a cow fell out of the sky, struck the boat, causing it to sink. The crew members were immediately put in jail for attempted insurance fraud. A few weeks later the Russian Air Force informed the Japanese authorities that the crew of one of its cargo planes had stolen a cow thinking they would have beef for the winter. Of course the cow was not fond of its close surroundings and began to thrash about. To save the aircraft and themselves, at about 30,000 feet, the crew shoved the animal out of the cargo hold as they were flying over the sea of Japan.

In 1997 a Japanese fishing trawler was rescued in the sea of Japan. They claimed that a cow fell out of the sky, struck the boat, causing it to sink. The crew members were immediately put in jail for attempted insurance fraud. A few weeks later the Russian Air Force informed the Japanese authorities that the crew of one of its cargo planes had stolen a cow thinking they would have beef for the winter. Of course the cow was not fond of its close surroundings and began to thrash about. To save the aircraft and themselves, at about 30,000 feet, the crew shoved the animal out of the cargo hold as they were flying over the sea of Japan.

Cows satellites................there could be a boat out there sunk this morning from falling satellite pieces. That could be a real insurance scam as nobody knows where the pieces have fallen!!!!
I'm off to find my insurance policy and that bit of scap metal.

Cows satellites................there could be a boat out there sunk this morning from falling satellite pieces. That could be a real insurance scam as nobody knows where the pieces have fallen!!!!
I'm off to find my insurance policy and that bit of scap metal.

Reports have it that unmarried mother of seven, Sharon Anytime fancied a walk after a meal. Her friend Justin Case recommended a visit to the local nature trail which had been completely re-landscaped by volunteers from the local traveller’s site. She was interviewed by local reporter Stanley Scoop, “So tell me what happened Sharon?”
“Well” she said, “ We was walking through this picturesque vista looking for some wildlife when I spotted this washing machine in the sky getting bigger and then it hit me. I could not believe just how quick the Fire Brigade turned up. We felt sure the mobile home would burn down and the insurance company would pay out.”

Reply to Useless fact of the day post!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net