Discuss Using RCD tester on output of a dimmer in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rushik77

We have a jobsite where the building owner insists on testing the RCD using a RCD tester on the output of the dimmer.

RCD trips when dimmer is at full (100% conduction) but does not when dimmed down. I believ the tester is not designed to be connected to the output of a switch that is turning on and off constantly but cannot prove this.

Any thoughts???? Anyone....

Is this normal practice??

Thanks

Is the building owner more qualified than you to do this test ?

If so, let him test with his own test kit.

Why any body would want to test an rcd other than at source is beyond me.

This serves no purpose.

:mad:

Thanks Trix,

Unfortunately I am responsible for providing the dimming equipment as well. Customer has his own electricians who are a little out there and insisting on testing everything. I believe a guest at the job (hotel rooms) got a tingle from a fixture whoch they are now blaming on the dimmers.

I need to convince owner that the dimmer cannot affect RCD and cause a safety hazard and that the tester is not performing as intended.

thanks

Reply to Using RCD tester on output of a dimmer in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Morning All Got little bit situation going on, causing multiple visits (luckily only 2 mins drive from where we are.) Client not 100% happy with...
Replies
Views
Hello! I've been racking my brain this evening about some RCD selections. I've been doing some work for a solar installer, and they've asked me...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
Hi guys & gals, I gave in and bought the new Megger MFT-X1. Got my hands on it Friday night, had a little play with it, used it at work on Monday...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, I have an issue with the loft socket. When we moved the previous owners had a 2.5mm cable going up from the CU Via FCU however...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock