Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss using Twin and Earth ourside and UV protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Wondering about T&E outside, not ideal we are told due to the UV rays overtime breaking down the outer sheath.
    Saying that I come across quite a bit when house bashing that has held up well and shown good IR tests.
    On a data sheet for some T&E I ordered was this little paragraph:-
    "Not suitable for unprotected use outside as the outer sheath is vulnerable to attack from UV, however Alkyd paint is enough to protect it from UV."
    From what I know Alkyd paints are made of certain synthetic oils and dry much like a resin overcoat.
    Anybody got thoughts on this Alkyd paint idea? just never noticed this info on the paperwork before.

2. Cadgey123

Cadgey123 Electrician's Arms

The sun will perish most cables. I worked in Australia and our cable trays after installation were always covered with lid.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tlangdon12

tlangdon12 Regular EF Member

4. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Be wary of putting too much faith in the IR test, a cable with perished insulation could test out fine but then have all the insulation fall off with the slightest movement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Probably the best option would be to use the correct type of cable in the first place, nothing like bolting the stable door after the Horse has bolted, cheap is not always the best, and the best is not always the cheapest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. EbolaSideRoom

EbolaSideRoom Regular EF Member

I’m with Pete999 and davesparks. I find plenty of externally mounted Flat T&E that looks like rhino hide, and that falls apart without too much interference.

7. WillWX

WillWX Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Bott the Builder
    I never use T&E outside, as already said it perishes badly and looks really awful. I tend to go into a wiska box and then gland out in whatever cable suits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Bit like the old Rubber cable, OK when left alone at least IR wise, start messing with it is when the heartache begins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hituff for wall attached cabling out side

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WillWX

WillWX Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Bott the Builder
    Yep, love that stuff!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. sparkdog

sparkdog sparkdog Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    C MacRae Electrical
    Hituff, wasn't that what the big bad wolf used on the three little pigs' house.

• Funny Funny x 1