Currently reading:
van decals and break ins??

Discuss van decals and break ins?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

brs73

-
Reaction score
morning chaps
i wanted to see what other peoples experiences were after they've had their vans printed up??
i want to get my van printed but i was wondering if thieves targeted printed vans more than a plain one.
i have a van vault and deadlocks.
thanks in advance
brs

i got broken into a few years back with a leased van, my tools in transit insurance paid up over £2000 without any trouble
ive got my own van now with deadlocks and a van vault. its just expensive repairing the van if they try and fail to get in!!!

Unfortunately, the scum of the world will always target a van which pretty much advertises the fact that it contains cable or copper pipe. That said, the benefits of having your own mobile billboard will far outweigh that risk if you are short of work. Only you can gauge the benefit/risk in your particular area.

When I had my marked up van I was paranoid about it, after catching a scrote in the act trying to crowbar the back open outside my house. At the time I had to park it on the street. Now I have a drive with gate and CCTV I feel better, although nowadays I use an estate car and never leave anything in it overnight.

Either way it's a good idea to be careful about showing the inside of your van,I always emptied mine late at night when there was nobody around,same as cleaning it out all it takes is one scumbag to walk past and see whats in it and you're a target.

An electrician not far from me had his Vito broken into last winter. No signage at all on it, but the guys knew it was full of cable.
Fortunately, they caught the thieving gits, as they left footprints in the snow leading back to their hideout (tent) in the woods nearby. Bet they got off with a warning.

Personally I think it is worth it , I always get comments from people about how they see my van flying about all the time, which one makes people think you must be busy, therefore good at what you do. Also the more the people who see your van the better it sticks in there mind, where as a plain white van just looks like any other plain white van.

Personally I think it is worth it , I always get comments from people about how they see my van flying about all the time, which one makes people think you must be busy, therefore good at what you do. Also the more the people who see your van the better it sticks in there mind, where as a plain white van just looks like any other plain white van.

I have to agree. I only use magnets on my car, but on a job I did a few weeks ago, the Lady said "It's hard to know who to trust. Some people don't even have their name on the side of their vehicle, so you never know if they're proper tradesmen." Made me chuckle.

Guitarist it is true, a sign written van with landline and mobile on . work wear with company name and details, goes a long way. start every day with clean clothes and a clean van and it does make a good impression and I have been told that by many people. and be courteous and professional at all times, even when people test your patience.

Always had my van sign written and never had any trouble. Haven't had my new one done yet though, not sure if I will.
I agree it helps to get your name out and about, but I usually make a point of dropping leaflets round the areas im not in very much, and word of mouth takes care of the rest.

An electrician not far from me had his Vito broken into last winter. No signage at all on it, but the guys knew it was full of cable.
Fortunately, they caught the thieving gits, as they left footprints in the snow leading back to their hideout (tent) in the woods nearby. Bet they got off with a warning.

I really do wish they were all that brain dead.

Think I'd 've followed 'em with a 2ft piece of 25mm galv conduit, though.

I think its worth having signs,had a few good jobs from mine.Got broken into once but just lost my Megger RCD tester and all my leads and adaptors.I have magnetic signs for my latest one but keep forgetting to put them on.As for taking stuff out at night I find my van just gets more and more crammed full of stuff.

Upgraded to a new van a couple of years back and had that fully sign written/racked out with no problems so far. Fingers, legs etc .... all crossed having said that!
Like a lot of comments on here I think the advertising benefits far outweigh the potential risk of break-ins. I look at it as being my 'office' and want to advertise my business as much as I can.

Reply to van decals and break ins?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back