Discuss Vat on new builds in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been asked to quite a new build job and if I'm VAT registered which I'm not.
If I carry out the work what is the situation for my client claiming back the VAT ?
Was going to suggest they supply materials under my direction but would have to increase labour price then to reflect loss of profit on that.
First new build I've done so far on my own

Cheers

best let them get materials then that way they can claim the VAT that will be in there name, otherwise you will be 20% more expensive all things being equal (all charging the same with same mark up).
although I am VAT i have let customer supply materials before, but my rate goes up a little for the lost revenue & I don't under any circumstances give them a materials list until I am on the job, I don't like wasting my time should i not get the work.
another thing I sometimes do is say to the customer your best to supply 2nd fix gear as when I turn up on the first day I will have the first fix gear with me, Why they ask & I simply say if you have half a drum of this & 3/4 drum of that I will not be wanting to buy it at the end of the job at the prices they paid for it.
learnt my lessons on that years ago & am still learning new ones each day

best let them get materials then that way they can claim the VAT that will be in there name, otherwise you will be 20% more expensive all things being equal (all charging the same with same mark up).
although I am VAT i have let customer supply materials before, but my rate goes up a little for the lost revenue & I don't under any circumstances give them a materials list until I am on the job, I don't like wasting my time should i not get the work.
another thing I sometimes do is say to the customer your best to supply 2nd fix gear as when I turn up on the first day I will have the first fix gear with me, Why they ask & I simply say if you have half a drum of this & 3/4 drum of that I will not be wanting to buy it at the end of the job at the prices they paid for it.
learnt my lessons on that years ago & am still learning new ones each day

Yeah will just price labour only then and give them a rough estimate of materials which they can pick up.
When I've won the job I'll give them a materials list then
There's no way they can claim any vat back on my labour then if I'm not registered ?

they can't claim back vat on your labour as you will not be charging vat. also, just be aware that if they supply materials, then youdon'tneed to warranty them, unless you allow for that in your labour charge.

Reply to Vat on new builds in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net