Discuss Virgin Media on 1st fix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

just went to quote for 3bed re-wire- he wants virgin media- and don't really know what cables i need and where they need to go!

Just having a look at the Virgin Media Website: During installation ? Discover ? Virgin Media
So the incoming box will/should be at front of house in Living Room.

Virgin Media set top box to be in the Living Room- and from here we need to run a TV cable (coaxial)- to each other room you want Virgin TV- so to 3x bedrooms upstairs.

virgin phone- run a cat5 cable from VM set top box also to be in living room (as if it was the master)- to where he wants a phone point- and off here as an extension if he wants more.

Then Step 6 for internet- Super Hub to also be in Living Room- cat6 cable from here to 6way Switch board under stairs (he wants this to be hidden) - then from here 5x cat6 cables to cat6 outlets in living room, dining room, 3x bedrooms.

we will run the cables- and then need to get a Virgin Media Engineer to connect it all up

above right??

and what type of coaxial for tv?
and just normal cat5 and cat6?

We used the virgin shotgun cable for the install. Take one from an external box to each point and split them into two single boxes but this has a maximum of two shotgun cables.If you want more than two you need to run it into an internal hub area then spider off. The coax virgin they supply is the cheap tin coated stuff and their data is only 1 pair. It looks like you have it right.

i think they like the same stuff you use for Satalight Dishs
it is hard to move some times in tight spaces, putting on the cover was a bit of a pain

give a call to virgin ask them to give you some coax cable. when you see their guy ask him how many cables will be needed.

heard of stories them dont want to connect their wiring to other type of coax...

If the property is 'pre-wired', ie there is already a cable going from the duct in the street to a JB on the side of the property (know as a 'drop box'), you'd wire to that. If not you should be able to see the cap on the end of the ducting that they'll use (known as a 'swept tee') - they'll run their cable from that to the side of the property.
You'll need an RG6 from the drop box to where each set top box or broadband modem is going, and a telephone cable from the drop box to the master socket. If there's already a BT master socket you might want the Virgin one next to it to make it easier to connect to any slave sockets.

virgin media accept just CT100 or RG59 or RG6 coaxial cable..make sure to be this type or virgin not connect them..for telephone and internet just use cat5e or cat6..

if you try to do how you explain on your comment i think its bit wrong..its not recommend to loop telephone and tv sockets because you lost signals from first point to last point..the best practice to do that its to come from outside to under stairs where you fix master socket for telephone and splitter for tv sockets..from splitter you have to run single ct100 or rg59 coxial cable to each tv socket ..same you have to do with phone sockets..this its best practice..

Last edited:

Reply to Virgin Media on 1st fix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net