Discuss volt drop outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to supply power to two outbuilding sheds to be used as an office (no electric heating required). one is 60m from supply source and another is 10m further on.

I'm currently debating what size supply / cable to install taking volt drop into account.

Ideally in unit 1 i'd have
-16a radial socket circuit
- 6a lighting circuit (1.3A Ib)
- 16a circuit to supply unit 2 sockets and fcu for lighting

This would give me a design current of 25.3A

Any ideas on what the best way would be to do this???? The volt drop gets a bit wild on a run this length.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Last edited:
6mm or 10mm would be my guess, leaning toward the 6mm and keep the load sensible. obviously , if there's a possibility of heating then go for 10mm. need to balance load/cost.

16mm? be cheaper to get a new supply in. LOL.

Just make sure that when you quote, you state the maximum load, so when they later change their minds, as customers do, they will have to fork out for a new supply cable!

To work out the total volt drop, would i first work out the volt drop on the swa run to the 1st unit (60m) using full design current for both units 26.3A then add the volt drop of the second leg (10m) using the Ib of the 2nd unit (12.6A) then add the volt drop for the furthest lighting point in unit 2. Then add them all together and make sure it's less than 3% 6.9v. Is this right?

Does my design current sound a bit high? each unit is having 3 sockets and 3 lights. Sockets are for basic office stationary and domestic appliences only.
I've calculated it using 90% of lighting (2.3A)
100% of 1st socket circuit (16A)
50% of 2nd socket circuit. (8A)
26.3A
=====

Last edited:

Reply to volt drop outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net